Notices

I'm new.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I'm new.

Hi, my name is Lydia, and I've been sober for about a month, but I'm struggling. I moved from my hometown to get away from all the drugs, but I'm still tempted to use here. My bf has started working 2 jobs and I spend a lot of time alone cuz I'm on disability for chronic migraines and bipolar disorder and can't do much in the way of going to school or working. I really need people to talk to. I'd like to make some sober friends on here. That's my goal for joining this site.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I commend you for your sobriety. And for taking the huge step in changing your environment to try to help yourself. My husband is an alcoholic and I can't tell you how badly I want to pack up and move us away from here.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by here4help View Post
Hi, my name is Lydia, and I've been sober for about a month, but I'm struggling. I moved from my hometown to get away from all the drugs, but I'm still tempted to use here. My bf has started working 2 jobs and I spend a lot of time alone cuz I'm on disability for chronic migraines and bipolar disorder and can't do much in the way of going to school or working. I really need people to talk to. I'd like to make some sober friends on here. That's my goal for joining this site.
Hey Lydia,

I'm also new, so welcome (to us both) hehe.. I'm only a few days sober though. My goal is also to make some sober friends, I don't seem to have any. Want to be friends?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

here4help, I am new, too! and one month is a huge accomplishment. Please take the time to congratulate yourself for such an achievement. Spending a lot of time alone leave a lot of room for you to pursue things that you love.

What are you interested in? what have you always wanted to learn how to do? Make something! get a hobby, learn something, get a hobby or VOLUNTEER.

If i had free time to volunteer, i would. In fact, I think that is one of the things I am hoping to make time for now that i'm bringing my cycle of partying/recovering to an ultimate end. Not only does it make you feel so good, it keeps you busy, and gives you the opportunity to help out and establish yourself in a community as something worthwhile. People will notice and appreciate you working to make a difference in something, and when they do you will know that you are worth more that what alcohol and drugs have to offer you you will build confidence and spread love and compassion. Through your struggles, you can help others because you know what it's like to need help.

Don't give up, stay busy!

-A
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kateausten83 View Post
I commend you for your sobriety. And for taking the huge step in changing your environment to try to help yourself. My husband is an alcoholic and I can't tell you how badly I want to pack up and move us away from here.
Do you think moving away will fix the issue? I've been wondering that about my situation. I feel too embarrassed to tell people I know about my problem.. so nobody is really aware. That I know of, anyway. And this has been proving to be a difficult obstacle in my situation because I've been asked to go drinking and it's hard to say no sometimes. I feel like if I lived in a place where I didn't know anybody, then I wouldn't have this issue.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by DoubleDragon View Post
I feel like if I lived in a place where I didn't know anybody, then I wouldn't have this issue.
Maybe. Or maybe you'd find yourself lonely, without support, and want to drink because of that.

We can't always run from the things that chase us. At some point you turn and fight...or turn and say, "Thanks, but no, I'm not going out drinking with you."
Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Lydia. I hope you'll find the help you need by being with us. There are many people dealing with the same thing here - you're not alone anymore.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Maybe. Or maybe you'd find yourself lonely, without support, and want to drink because of that.

We can't always run from the things that chase us. At some point you turn and fight...or turn and say, "Thanks, but no, I'm not going out drinking with you."
You're right, of course.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Suffering from chronic migraines here also, I know your struggle. Congrats, and welcome to SR
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your start to being sober. I can relate somewhat to your post about being asked to go have drinks....I stopped hanging out with my friendly associates who drank "a lot"; and it helped a little.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

moving away

Originally Posted by DoubleDragon View Post
Do you think moving away will fix the issue? I've been wondering that about my situation. I feel too embarrassed to tell people I know about my problem.. so nobody is really aware. That I know of, anyway. And this has been proving to be a difficult obstacle in my situation because I've been asked to go drinking and it's hard to say no sometimes. I feel like if I lived in a place where I didn't know anybody, then I wouldn't have this issue.
I think it would be too easy to "fall" into meeting people you don't want to meet, like drinkers. People tend to attract what they have been familiar with; kind of like the law of attraction.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 month! Staying busy/occupied is important for sobriety, SR is great because it is "open" 24/7. Have you thought about going back to school? There are many online programs these days. Finding new hobbies is fun too as you will see how much you were missing out on when you weren't sober.