Notices

Just Clearing My Head...

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Clearing My Head...

Well I decided to follow one more of those 'google doctor' things tonight. Well what I did was basically check to see how I could 'feel my liver' to see if I could notice any inflammation of any kind. So I would like to start this out by saying first... I am not seeking medical advice, and I am only sharing this to help clear my mind of worry. I will be making a doctor visit after the 27th of this month to discuss this with a doctor. I will also admit my heavy usage over the years.

So anyway, it says to check yourself you need to check under your lower right rib cage, which also stated about checking the front/side and back basically. Which I did using my fingers and made a hook under my rib cage the best I could. At first I was like... no pain... good sign, but then I noticed something odd. I felt a small 'hard spot' which I felt numerous times.

Which got my crazy mind to thinking. Well if it was fatty or inflamed it would be large, but still soft. Hardness or a hard spot to me got me thinking... well it was either scaring or cirrhosis... oh man oh man. At times I hate google...

But most of all I hate living with this crap known as alcoholism...

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Soberh.." Google dr" scary .. may have some information but do not get yourself to worked up. That may be liver pain, but if you are going to a real Dr they will do blood work see where your liver function is at and it is entirely possible if you do not drink it will heal quickly. I had pain for weeks at the end of my drinking days. Liver function was all out of whack. Pain went away , recently had blood work done everything is back to normal. The liver is a very strong organ
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SophieB View Post
Soberh.." Google dr" scary .. may have some information but do not get yourself to worked up. That may be liver pain, but if you are going to a real Dr they will do blood work see where your liver function is at and it is entirely possible if you do not drink it will heal quickly. I had pain for weeks at the end of my drinking days. Liver function was all out of whack. Pain went away , recently had blood work done everything is back to normal. The liver is a very strong organ
Yeah, I am starting to wonder if there is a connection between 'addiction' (the devil) and now 'google' as well. :P

I know and I will be stopping for sure... or at-least I hope. One day at a time, or better yet for me.. one hour / minute at a time. Also I know the liver can be a cool little guy, but the hard 'feeling' there just got me to worry some. I've abused this little vessel of mine for some time, and hope I can do the best to take care of it better and show it I do appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can do this to myself also. My husband lets me know that google searches are not the doc. So, I refrain the best I can. Try not to worry to much.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I can do this to myself also. My husband lets me know that google searches are not the doc. So, I refrain the best I can. Try not to worry to much.
I will try my best, and once again... thanks for reminding me. Just hate when I have things on my mind... makes it near impossible to sleep. Tried laying down and mind wouldn't stop racing... usually would end up being a time I would 'drink' so I could go to sleep, but instead I decided to get on here.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good plan!! The thing about worrying..it doesn't change anything. It just leads to more negative thoughts , more stress than more things to worry about
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Night owl

I can work myself into a frenzy with this kind of thing, too. But like everyone said, wait til you see the *real* doctor and get a proper workup. If there are any problems you can work with your doctor to address and heal them. The liver is a pretty amazing organ, it can put up with a lot and still come back.

For myself, I have used the herb Milk Thistle (silymarin) and the supplement Alpha Lipoic Acid to support my liver health. You can ask your doctor about them if that sounds at all interesting to you, they are both big supporter/repairers of the liver.

Take care.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
I can work myself into a frenzy with this kind of thing, too. But like everyone said, wait til you see the *real* doctor and get a proper workup. If there are any problems you can work with your doctor to address and heal them. The liver is a pretty amazing organ, it can put up with a lot and still come back.

For myself, I have used the herb Milk Thistle (silymarin) and the supplement Alpha Lipoic Acid to support my liver health. You can ask your doctor about them if that sounds at all interesting to you, they are both big supporter/repairers of the liver.

Take care.
Yeah, when I found out mid-last year that I had a spot on my liver. I shortly started taking Milk Thistle after that to try and help combat whatever damage has/was done. I am getting one more bottle of it to take during this whole phase. Already told the doctor I visited I was taking it... along with Vitamin C. Had a CBC & Abdominal X-Ray done (all I could afford at the time) which came back fine. Now this month I will be going back and getting a LFT ordered and crossing my fingers....

Once again, anyone crossing this thread. This is not offering or asking for medical advice... should always check with doctors if you have concerns.