Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How to quit something when you have such an easy access to it?

Notices

How to quit something when you have such an easy access to it?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rare Human Species

Angry How to quit something when you have such an easy access to it?

Okay, so there's this drug. I live with 2 other people, they smoke pot. Now, I could easily just go to their stash and take a little, I always do.(When their not home) I've quit before for 3 months, f.y.i. I'm trying to quit again,(once and for all, or at least a few years) but it's just so hard when I can easily walk into a room and get what I want. ANY advice? And no I can't just ask them to stop, or whatever the case may be I know it's wrong to take other people's things, which they have payed for, but I'm just a sick twisted person.

Whether or not you guy's have any advice, can anybody relate to this specific situation?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

I smoked for 30 years....I can relate to the extent that I needed to change my friend circle and living arrangements.

I didn't live there but it was the 'crash pad'. We were always dipping into each others stashes too.

Ended up our friends were *breaking in* to help themselves too...

It was all very dysfunctional and messy. I got out. I had to.

Any chance you can move out RHS?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rare Human Species

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome

I smoked for 30 years....I can relate to the extent that I needed to change my friend circle and living arrangements.

I didn't live there but it was the 'crash pad'. We were always dipping into each others stashes too.

Ended up our friends were *breaking in* to help themselves too...

It was all very dysfunctional and messy. I got out. I had to.

Any chance you can move out RHS?
NO chance of moving out haha, but I'm sure I'll get through this again, because I've gotten through it once already. I just love green plants that alter your mind when burned and inhaled
Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm gonna answer you with a question:

Do you smoke or not?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rare Human Species

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I'm gonna answer you with a question:

Do you smoke or not?
Yes! I smoke
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by RareHumanSpecie View Post
Yes! I smoke
Then you got a problem. You can decide to not smoke and not have the problem.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rare Human Species

Easier said than done, but thanks anyway.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's part of having an addiction- quitting is easier said than done. But the fact that you had successful periods without smoking shows that it can be done. There will always be temptation to smoke whether you live with people who smoke or not- but are you a smoker, or are you not a smoker? I think that's trachemy's point. No gray area allowed.
You have to figure out what it was that kept you sober for an extended period, and what made it so that you couldnt maintain. Then hopefully you can work to maintain a balance.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

RHS -- My problem is alcohol. I have two roommates who both enjoy drinking but are not alcoholics. While I was drinking it was terrible. I would drink everything in the house. Little sips out of the vodka, just one beer, etc... and then rushing out the next morning to replace it and hope that no one noticed. Of course they did, although they were nice about it, but it was always this terrible cycle.

When I decided to quit last month, I decided to quit. My mind was made up and I was doing it.

Since then, I've been OK. We had a party last week so there's been a fridge full of beer for the last ten days or so... and I've been OK. Because I drew that line in my mind.

Until I got to that point, I just kept failing. For me the difference was the last time I got really sick and went to the hospital. When I think about drinking now, I just think about getting sick... and then I think of the first two weeks quit and how awful they were... and it just is something I won't do.

Hopefully you're able to draw a similar line somehow, but unfortunately I don't know how to advise on that.