Old 03-17-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who am I?

Another sober weekend over and who am I?...Am I

1. A drinker
2. An ex drinker
3. A non drinker
4. All of these things

It seems that I spend a lot of time defining myself by either the presence or abscence of alcohol. I spend a lot of time thinking of ways to have it or avoid it. Justifying why I 'deserve ' that drink. I realise now just how amazing people who have stopped drinking are. It's not easy and I suppose if I remember that I'll be ok. Looking forward to next week and yet another sober week/end . Good luck to everyone on their own personal journey x
Old 03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I try not to define myself with labels.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is like that by necessity when you first get sober, I had to keep saying to myself 'I don't drink' until I started believing it. Now I don't define myself by alcohol at all. I was in a pub this afternoon and I was just like one of the other people not drinking. I didn't feel awkward or on guard. Now I define myself by what I do rather than what I drink x
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've had similar questions, Cara. I've been drinking/drugging since I was 16. Substance abuse has always been a part of my life.

I posted in Secular Connections about being a new man. That's what I am. The old me is gone. What I will be is wide open. I can be anything I want.

Except drunk.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good post. I, neither, define myself as an ex drinker. I'm human. I feel emotions alcohol no longer rules my life.
I did define myself as a drunk when I was drinking, because that's what I was and everyone I knew well knew it, too.

Now, I'm sober, recovering and falable. I'm a new me and I'm proud of that and I'm proud of a lot of people on these boards who have quit for their sage adivice and wisdom.
I'm loving life, I'm closer to God and I am a new me.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think it just comes with time, the identification of being a non-drinker or ex-drinker. The label thing really makes no difference in the scheme of things, ya know? Glad you're here, we do understand!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

One of the freedoms I've found in sobriety is that I identify myself less by my relationship with alcohol,drugs or other addictive behavior than I did. I am identifying myself more by my relationship with things that represent life than things that that rob me of life!

It's been a process for me.