Notices

I had a sort of epiphany

Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a sort of epiphany

My cholesterol is high and I take meds for it and my liver enzymes have slowly increased over that past 3 years.

I was trying a new med that had less severe side effects than the statins and went in for my 6 week routine blood test.

I got an email from a doctor saying my dr. was on vacation but she noticed my levels and wanted to let me know I shouldnt drink any alcohol over the weekend nor take tylenol and stop the meds at once. And to call if I felt poorly.

Poorly? I always feel poorly. Was I supposed to feel more poorly than usual? Between alcohol and the meds I always feel like crap anyhow.

So now my cholesterol is higher than ever (311) and my liver enzymes are up to 272. So the meds didnt work at all.

And for the first time I am thinking, man I really need to quit drinking. I mean really, this can be serious.

I know a 55 year old lady who just died because she wouldnt quit.

And of all the people I know that drink alot, and I mean alot, out of ten there are about 3 left that are alive and I am one of them.

I got the email saturday AM and have not touched a drop since. Had I gotten it friday, I would have done the same.

Instead I woke up proud that I only drank 2/3 a bottle of wine with my 6 shots of vodka.

So now I am thinking ok, I have to stop long enough to figure our what is going on in my body.

But I am also thinking how nice it was to wake up feeling half way normal today.

And I know I will go to work tomorrow without a hangover which I havent done in, well, ever.

The thought of a drink repulses me right now because I am so scared. I had a whopper of craving this afternoon but got through it. Because I thought, If I have a drink, then I will have to have another one., Then probably a shot. Then most likely open another bottle of wine.

Then the next thing you know I am waking up feeling like crap getting ready for work not remembering what I had for dinner and what I watched on TV.

All for some cheap vodka and a $2 bottle of wine.

I am getting ot the point in my life where I would rather waste the calories on good food then booze.

I dont know if I have quit or not but it is clear to me that I dont want to continue leading my life the way I have been.

Thank you for your time and good luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

A really really old friend of mine passed away last year with liver cirrhosis. She was comparatively young and left behind a young kid and a teenager. Her death was physically horrible. It's a terrible way to go.

It shocked me in to stopping. I swore I wasn't going go like that. Two months later I was back up to an even worse level of binge. I came out of that period and had a series of blood tests. Unsurprisingly given the length and severity of my abuse the results were not good.

I haven't had any sort of a divine revelation or a seminal moment. Just an accumulation of warnings, signposts, wrecked relationships and a ruined career, to the point that I've pretty much used up my time in the last-chance saloon.

For people like us there has to be a last time that we pick up or we will run out of last-chances.

Do it now while you have that chance.

Peace etc.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is amazing what this disease will allow us to give up....and all for a drink.

That's great that you didn't drink Saturday- but sometimes fear subsides and it is too easy to go back to our old ways.

Now is a great time to set up a support system- whether it be online, AA, Outpatient threapy, counseling, etc... I have found a combination works the best for me.

As someone said at a meeting today "I would rather die with this disease than because of it"

Please take care of yourself, you're worth it.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=sparky78;3866849.. I have found a combination works the best for me.

As someone said at a meeting today "I would rather die with this disease than because of it"

Please take care of yourself, you're worth it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sparky, Yah when you find that right combination , it is a Godsend. I do NA/AA, Church and here. Trying to find the proper balance now that I am working but I am not gonna complain. I haven't worked in 7 yrs. I was one sick puppy. I am grateful today!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome lucky1s!

Everything in my life improved when I got sober and it will for you, too, even though it may not feel like that right now. I was amazed to find that almost all of my anxiety and depression had actually been caused by drinking, along with a lot of other physical ills.

Keep reading and posting..... this is a great place! And be very cautious with detoxing on your own - don't hesitate to get medical help if you need it. Glad you're here!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My guess is that your health will improve dramatically if you quit drinking. I was having health problems from it at only 32. I've been sober for 4 months & no longer need medication for my acid reflux & stomach issues. Take care of yourself & keep us posted as to how you are doing