Notices

I feel depress

Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel depress

I have always been happy and positive. I stopped drinking 2 weeks ago. For the past few days I really don't feel myself. No anxiety but really low and depressed. I have tons to do and tons to look forward to but instead I feel like ****.

I just want to sleep and not do anything else. No chores , cooking, work, socializing or working out , all things I was doing everyday with joy until 2 days ago.

What is happening ..?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're experiencing real life, without the cushion of alcohol to remove the feelings. It wont always be this way. It will pass. And when you look back and realize that you got through it without a sedative you'll become ecstatic, strong and so very very relieved!!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

A few things. Your changing your body chemistry. Your changing habits. You are not using drinking as fuel. I could not imagine living with out it. That bummed me out. And honestly your in mourning in a way.

Nothing seems wrong from my perspective.

Clinical depression is a real possibility. Speak to your doctor if it persists.

Congrats on two weeks! Keep going! Keep posting!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hopefully this is just a blip for you - there probably is some mourning going on, and I'm sure I read this week that it can take a good two weeks before all physical traces of alcohol leave your body, so maybe now your mind is catching up?

Tomorrow is another day, see if it's a little brighter x
Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are just where we all have been in early sobriety.....it will pass. Remember to take care of yourself and not have huge initial expectations of how things will change in your life. Change takes time and time takes time
Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prion View Post
I have always been happy and positive. I stopped drinking 2 weeks ago. For the past few days I really don't feel myself. No anxiety but really low and depressed. I have tons to do and tons to look forward to but instead I feel like ****.

I just want to sleep and not do anything else. No chores , cooking, work, socializing or working out , all things I was doing everyday with joy until 2 days ago.

What is happening ..?
Hi Prion and a HUGE congratulations on 2 weeks or 840 hours, or 20160 minutes, or 1209600 seconds! Pretty big numbers eh??

No, you won't feel like [former] self, you are feeling like your sober self! This is pretty normal and everyone seems to have varying degrees of intensity. But the good news is you will "normalize"!! Right now, I am somewhat detached, a little lonely but I understand that I have just lost my worst enemy - booze. He was always around, kept me company, let me know things were ok even when all hell was breaking loose. Part of this battle is telling that enemy to hit the bricks, beat it and never come back!

Just take time for yourself, you are not superman. Understand that you are seeing things more clearly now and perhaps you are getting a flood of emotions. These are all quite normal and acceptable. For now, just be kind to yourself, take it one day at a time. If you need to sleep, sleep! Your body needs to heal from all the damage booze has done to it!

The other things you mention should come back at their own pace, but keep an eye on things. If you think you might be slipping a little too far down a path you are not comfortable with, consider seeing a counselor or your Dr. There is no reason for you to fight this alone!!

You have made fantastic progress, don't forget that! Even gloat about it! Give yourself a huge pat on the back, you deserve it!!!

Take care and be well!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree that it will pass. It took me awhile to adjust to my new life. I also agree that there's a grieving process - we've thought of alcohol as our friend for so long. Its strange to not have it to fall back on, even though we know it was a sick way to live.

Good job on your 2 weeks. You will come out into the sunshine again, Prion.