Notices

I have my eye on addiction

Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I have my eye on addiction

For me, addiction is like having my eye so close to a painting that I can literally see just a dark spot. So close I see essentially nothing.

Yet if I stood back a bit I might see the Mona Lisa .... With a smile that isn't.

Or maybe a Monet with brilliant color?

Yet my addictions. Plural... Keep me so close I cannot yet see the beauty of it all.

I choose to see my life as a watercolor. Where the colors of people, places and events blend into one another. To remove any one single thing would certainly take with it something of another. Or leave behind traces of that which brought pain.

I think I will leave all the colors where they lay and step back to enjoy the abstract.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
For me, addiction is like having my eye so close to a painting that I can literally see just a dark spot. So close I see essentially nothing.

Yet if I stood back a bit I might see the Mona Lisa .... With a smile that isn't.

Or maybe a Monet with brilliant color?

Yet my addictions. Plural... Keep me so close I cannot yet see the beauty of it all.

I choose to see my life as a watercolor. Where the colors of people, places and events blend into one another. To remove any one single thing would certainly take with it something of another. Or leave behind traces of that which brought pain.

I think I will leave all the colors where they lay and step back to enjoy the abstract.
Beautifully said. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks dream.

I was just thinking that to see things I need to step back and what might I see when I do. Drinking and drugs are something I did when I looked intently at a single spot and refusing to see the impact to the whole of my life.

A bit heady I know. But I had to express it.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You write beautifully
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Indeed he does! (ps I'm not even kidding about my personally signed copy of the memoir)

Yep, that's the thing...you cannot remove the black and the darker parts of your life picture. They are there, painted there for good. For me the goal has changed. I used to rail against those dark strokes, I wanted them gone. Since that is not possible, I learned how to begin to see their purpose. The darker parts make the colorful parts all the more vibrant.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lol! SoberL I started it. It's title is To Forgive Devine. A story about a whole boy from a broken home.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
omg...LOVE!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ken, I love your ability to express your emotions so eloquently!! Very deep indeed....yet so very true!

Thank you for giving me something to think about today.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sober F thanks! I think I think to much .... I think.

Naaaaaaaa!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Noooo, you don't think too much. I don't think there is such a thing. That's like saying I have too many shoes...
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Night owl

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Since that is not possible, I learned how to begin to see their purpose. The darker parts make the colorful parts all the more vibrant.
Thank you for that! As a person with a lot of those "darker" spots I really love this imagery. I am a person who loves to wear vibrant colors, I"ve always loved color. But I had a deep, long depression where I wore nothing but black or other dark colors and since then I really want that color to remind me of the fullness of life.