Notices

hello

Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello

Hi everyone, I want to keep my name private, but i have come to terms that I am an alcoholic. I drink way to much and it is hurting my family both immediate and extended. This is a big step for me. If any sober people can give me some tips I would be grateful
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You have come to the right place and you will get lots of support here .
The most important thing, you already have done is to accept the fact and admit that
alcohol is causing serious problems to your life.

From here on, you can start working to make a plan to quit. Have you tried to quit before ? Depending on the amounts and frequency of alcohol consumption, each of us gets withdrawal symptoms , once the consumption is stopped. These symptoms can be really serious. Hence, you must visit your doctor ( GP ) and discuss with him about your plan to quit. He may give you some medications to ease the withdrawals. It is a good idea to see a counselor who specializes in addiction field.

On this forum, you will get lots of information from all the members here. You can ask some very specific questions on anything which might be troubling you.

Only thing, you will not get here is, medical advice which is against the rules of this forum. Keep posting and reading on SR. Wishing you best of luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey,

Welcome to the forums. The beat advice I can give you is the advice that worked for me. Take it one day at a time. Don't rush anything. And post here. But most of all read anything that echoes your own experiences. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

Natom.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friend of Bill W.

i comend you endlessly for taking this first and difficult step!! i encourage you to post as much as you can and feel comfortable with! from personal experience, revealing the wounds is the sure-fire way to heal... if you need anything, hmu. with love and luck sent your way...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first step is always the biggest step. Have you admitted this step to your family? Familial support for those who have it (unfortunately most of mine are deceased and I'm not married/no kids) can be a tremendous help. It's important to remember, though, they also often need help. Talk with them about it. That would be my first advice. Families and individuals tend to be only as sick as their secrets.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks, last chance and Natom. the input from both of you is helping me to start the road to recovery. I decided to find a road to recovery because i was out of control ans a community of people with my problem will help me. do you have some advice to help me?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Hockey Guy - once I got to your stage of knowing i had to stop, I started reading everything I could about alcoholism, and I told my doctor that I had a problem. It took about a month for me to reach the point where I could stop, but when i got to that point I won't say it was easy but my motivation was strong enough to keep me going. I worked out the 'danger times' and how to avoid them, and also some simple strategies for dealing with cravings like deep breathing.
As a first step, how about talking to your doctor? Write down your intake, in case you find it hard to tell him/her the brutal truth. It's nothing they haven't heard before, and I bet they wish more of their patients would own up to it.
It's hard with families because although they can be amazing support, there can also be the pressure of expectations if you're not quite at the point of quitting. Actions speak louder than words though.