Notices

how do i deal with this man?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do i deal with this man?

We work in professional environment. My boss discusses issues and projects with everyone else but me with respect. When it comes to me he always makes it into a stupid joke. I told him that i lose respect for him this way. Now, since he continue doing this knowing that it upsets me. How would you handled it? I want him to stop.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have a HR department? x
Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People in middle management are generally imbeciles. Unfortunately, you probably just have to grin and bear it if you want to keep your job. That's not how I handle it, but I've been fired from 4 jobs in a row.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take the high road. Do not play back. Let him do his deal. Talk with HR. If it doesnt change, and you are that uncomfortable, you might start looking for new work.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, take the high road. Do the best job you can and let it go. Look for opportunities elsewhere when you have a chance and be ready to make a move.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this company and this job. .hr won't do anything.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience with my current employer, I gradually worked up from a position in the warehouse (general dogs body) to a position where I directly reported to a middle management type guy.

He (and others) treat me very differently to those that had been employed directly (from outside) who IMHO were not half as good at there jobs as I was.

I eventually left to go self employed which didn't work out (drink) then a job came up at my old/current employer (a slightly higher position)

As I knew what it was like before I changed the way I interacted with everyone, basically I took the view that this was a job with colleagues not friends (as I knew them all) an I treat them as such, respect everyone and be professional at all times, I don't even get into discussions on personal lives ect with them

All I can say is do your job do it well and forget about this guy who is obviously a dick, eventually he will treat u like you should be, or people will begin to notice that he does not.

All the best

AoS
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, in that case, what you need to do is examine and adjust your own reactions and responses to his behavior. You really cannot control what ANYONE does, only your own reaction to them. There are any number of factors that could be at work that cause him to behave this way (insecurity because you threaten him somehow, sexism, something about you that irritates him for some reason, etc.). If you like the job then you have to work on finding satisfaction in doing a good job and ignoring the slights. If you conduct yourself with dignity and refuse to let his behavior derail you from doing a job that you love, you will be happier at work.

Acceptance does not make what he is doing right, but it can free you from the victim mentality that will hold you back, and the frustration of trying to force someone else to change.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll try to act professional. I made a mistake of becoming friendly. These are not good people.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Do you have a HR department? x
take advantage of your HR. Ask them how to handle the situation and base your decision on that. I think HR's have to adhere to any privacy rules.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigaquagirl View Post
I love this company and this job. .hr won't do anything.
Maybe just talking with them and letting them give you some ideas.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think Lexie said it best. I work in a big company and to be honest have several people that make my job much harder than it needs to be. I can't change them and used to try and be petty. Now I just do the best job I can. I focus on positive things and keep moving forward. I can only focus on my own actions. Since I have done that a lot of the petty stuff just does not bother me and makes the day much better.