Notices

Day #7

Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day #7

I am at the one week mark and feeling pretty good. This would usually be the time of day that I would take a nap to pass the time until I could start smashing the beers down in the evening. I tried my wedding ring on which I havent worn in about 2 years becuase of my swollen fingers and it fit. My wife was so happy!! The thought did come up to go out tonight and drink some green beer but I am not going to do it.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 7 days sober!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you, Oro. I started to feel much better at one week. You'll continue to heal and feel healthier.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. The one problem I am having a hard time fighting is my mind. It keeps trying to trick me into drinking. For example, today it told me "See it is easy to slow down. You can stop and just drink on the weekends. You don't have a problem, so why don't you just drink tonight? It is a Saturday and all of your friends will be drinking."
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes - it was those thoughts that kept me drinking all my life, and there was no happy ending. I never could control the amounts I drank, and ended up completely dependent on it.

It's been a way of life for us a long time - so it's understandable that our thoughts go back to it. We seem to forget the damage it did and the pain it caused. You've done a good thing by talking about it - I think it helps relieve some of the anxiety. You're doing great. (Nice that your ring fits again )
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God either is, or He isn't.

Ohhhhhh, I so know what you are talking about when it comes to my mind saying things to me! The key was for me to remember the truth in the Big Book of AA, where many have recovered... that this is a disease that's centered in my mind. Believing that and accepting that fact helped me to get through those difficult times when the committee in my mind was going off!

I still have those fleeting thoughts even into my 9th year of sobriety. The difference is that I don't act on them and can tell them to shut the hell up when they come. You're doing the right thing... reach out and talk about it. We are here for you and will be as you trudge the road of happy destiny!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oroszlan View Post
Thank you. The one problem I am having a hard time fighting is my mind. It keeps trying to trick me into drinking. For example, today it told me "See it is easy to slow down. You can stop and just drink on the weekends. You don't have a problem, so why don't you just drink tonight? It is a Saturday and all of your friends will be drinking."
That must be the same voice that gets inside my head... it must be like the tooth fairy. Only instead of visiting us when we loose teeth it visits us when we start to sober up, feel better... and feel happier.

Only for me, anyway, instead of leaving a dollar it just leaves another binge and the regretful thoughts of "man, I did it again..."

Hang in there. I too had the thoughts about the green beer. I decided there is absolutely no possible way I would just have one green beer. After I told myself I wouldn't have just one (would prob. be one, then one more, then one shot of Jameson, then one more... on and on..."

I thought "what's the point in having one green beer...?" Then I decided tonight I'm going to eat some really rich, fatty, awesome tasting food. Both would prob. mess my stomach up but the food won't leave me with regrets and a hangover.

And I know my wife will be grateful. That sure as hell beats a buzz or hangover.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am in complete agreement Paddler. Who cares about St. Patricks day and green beer. It is just another day and not worth what will happen. It is just that alcoholic voice trying to trick us. I am going to eat a good meal as well and have some iced tea instead. Heck, I might even go out to breakfast tomorrow to watch all the people hungover trying to choke down a cup of coffee!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Our society correlates holidays with drinking so much that it is truly stupifying to me at times. I remember as a child I used to love Christmas mornings, but hated Christmas afternoons and evenings because by then nearly all of my adult relatives were intoxicated and trying to out argue each other. Truly miserable.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Make some lime juice, it's green. Then have a really nice meal. I bought some crab for me to make.....

Congratulations on 7 days of sobriety!!!!!!!

This is a big deal!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oroszlan View Post
BIG congratulations for day 7!! I am at day 5 and tonight is Saturday. Although the feeling is not over whelming, I sure am thinking, WOW 5 days, I can do this, but wouldn't it be great just to pick up a 6 pack to "celebrate"!!

WAIT A MINUTE! That would be so counter productive!! The alcoholic mind I think will always try to play little tricks with us an excuse to have a drink.

No excuses! Do not drink!

Keep up the good work!! You are doing awesome!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post! I actually can finally wear my wedding ring again too I know we both can do it!!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations

D
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it. I hope everyone has a good night and look forward to all of us having a great sober morning.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm at my parents playing Angry Birds with my Neice while waiting for the pizza in the oven. We loaded it with toppings from the fridge. Later I'm going to watch Enterprise and go to sleep. The lack of my created drama if I went out tonight and the drama of me being in withdraw come Monday is helping me enjoy the evening even more. Let's get used to being happy in reality! BTW Oroszlon, I'm happy for you you're ring fits.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It was good to read these posts...I'm not really able to drink now as I'm with my son in the hospital (actually I could figure a way) but my mind is really active right now with the fact many are drinking tonight because of this ridiculous celebration of an excuse to drink. It is true that many will be hungover tomorrow. The night is early and it is messing with me. I know, however, from experience that as the night goes on I will mellow out. I will fall asleep being greatful I didn't drink. I need to get this darn evening under my belt and I know it will be better....
Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
It was good to read these posts...I'm not really able to drink now as I'm with my son in the hospital (actually I could figure a way) but my mind is really active right now with the fact many are drinking tonight because of this ridiculous celebration of an excuse to drink. It is true that many will be hungover tomorrow. The night is early and it is messing with me. I know, however, from experience that as the night goes on I will mellow out. I will fall asleep being greatful I didn't drink. I need to get this darn evening under my belt and I know it will be better....
I hope your son gets to feeling better. Good job on staying sober through a not so fun time and the holiday weekend!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The night will pass soberclover and you will make it. I wish your son the best and I know it will get better. It is hard to deal with anything stressful without the alcohol but we all know that it doesn't solve anything. I found a great song that I have been listening to. I am kind of using it as my theme song for this new lifestyle. It is "February Seven" bt the Avett Brothers.