Notices

Lost

Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost

I've been sober for almost four months now, some days are a breeze. There's also days like today when I wake up angry and confused about everything around me. I guess I should start by saying my sobriety was brought on by a death in my family, so my anger isn't fed off of mixed feelings of sobriety alone... I'm also grieving. There's a lot of things I'd like to be able to express without having to attend meetings or tell my friends and family about because a lot of the time I'm just left with no response and blank stares. I've read a lot of quotes on this Site in the past two months and I decided that I should join. Whenever I find myself taking a ride on the emotional roller coaster i start to Google about sobriety and I'm always brought to this Site. <3
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Welcome, Stash!

It went the same way for me... I ended up here a lot when I was thinking of quitting. It's been a huge help for me over the last month as I've finally done it. People here understand what it feels like.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome fantail
I wouldn't have thought it would mean so much but it does.
I really think this Site will be a good place for me. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Stash.
On the subject of grief, my experience is that it has a mind of its own. It wasn't something that an AA meeting was equipped to help me with though I did talk to my close AA friends some. Emotions seemed to come in waves, waves of sadness, waves of anger and resentment. For a while I wondered what was going on. These feelings didn't sit well with my AA program. I wondered if there was something wrong with me.

The best thing I did was talk to a grief counsellor - someone trained for this. I quickly discovered that I was acting sanely and normally, that all this was just normal for grief. That was very reassuring and I was able to just let things flow, and eventually, heal.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grief counselor is the next thing on my check list. Lol it takes a lot of help to better ones self doesn't it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Stash. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your family member. I agree that grief counseling would be of tremendous help to you in dealing with your emotions. Another avenue for you to explore, since you are also experiencing the emotional rollercoaster of alcohol withdrawals, is to educate yourself on PAWS (post-acute withdrawal symptoms). The attached link is only one of hundreds you can find with your internet search engine. This one is an easy read and will familiarize you with what to expect at different time periods during your sobriety. Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

Congratulations on your four months of sobriety!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome stash

I'm sorry for your loss.

congratulations on 4 months sober. I'm just over 3 months and have had many similar feelings. I saw my doc a couple of weeks ago and have received some meds and referral for counselling.I didn't realize how much I'd been holding in till I unburdened myself to him which was a great help.You don't have to go through this alone. Maybe see your doc. SR has been a great source of help and support for me too.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks odelle that link was very helpful. It explained alot about how I've been feeling. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Stash ,
My grandma dieing was part of the impetus for me quitting . Even from her death she bought me life .. what a great woman .

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-16-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i was sober for a year once in 05-06. i sobered up because my uncle died and we did a ceremony that required we stay sober for a year. that was different from whats happening now. my aunt died in november. she was my drinking buddy we would drink almost every day together. she was my bestfriend. she was drunk and she fell off a patio and broke her neck. after that i decided i wasnt going to drink again. alcohol has only brought me misery. i almost gave up on life but i decided to give up on alcohol instead.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Stash, from the other side of this country of ours... Congratulations on 4 months, thats tremendous, and I am glad you found yourself here. I could relate so much to the things you wrote about. Be proud of your decision for sobriety, it will make so many positive changes in life. Alcohol for me brought nothing but negatives, everything bad that ever happened to me was somehow alcohol related. Life is easier with out being dumbed down by booze, I hope you find some solace and peace within yourself, and know that your Aunt would be proud that you will avoid alcohol related death... Have a good, sober, fun filled weekend... L
Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

My grandad died drunk he fell down the stairs and broke his neck.i have tried numerous times to stop with months of sobriety but I still end up drunk. Well done on 4 months.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

awe </3 i feel ur pain . its far from easy. i caught my aunt from falling off that same patio a few months before she died. after she died i would have dreams of her falling and im unable to catch her. sorry about your grandad.