Notices

problem drinker??? be honest!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've yet to meet a person who thought they might have a drinking problem who didn't have a drinking problem.

Non-alcoholics don't even think about drinking, let alone how much and scheming to drink more.

When I first got sober, I had a friend tell me he didn't think I was an alcoholic and was over-reacting. I wasn't over-reacting. I was and am an alcoholic or problem drinker, alcohol addict, lover of booze, lush, binge drinker ... whatever term you want to use, I qualified.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Seems to me your husband has a fear of your participation in AA. What that fear is I’m not sure. Speaking as someone who regularly goes to AA meetings, I am sure that the people in AA would NOT be offended by your participation. Consider calling the local AA phone number, finding an “open” meeting (one that anyone can attend) and bring him along with you.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My husband was my drinking buddy and even when my liver labs were 3X worse than normal, he thought I "still wasn't that bad".
He quit with me with no complaints but still would say the same thing even today.
I know and knew not only was I "that bad", my liver agreed and I want to continue to live past the age of 56 (when my mother died of cancer) with a clear head and healthy bodily organs.
You have plenty of time, keep reading and listening to those who are here to help you through this.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You are so right. My little boy deserves so much more! I am more than ashamed.
Why do I find it difficult to accept that I have a drinking problem? ??
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

noone wants to be different BPG.
Some if us *need* to accept we are tho.

D
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bagpussgirl View Post
Hi

I don't know. ..I don't think I drink normally but an alcoholic? ??

I don't think people who are not alcoholics question whether or not they are alcoholics. They just know they are not.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pluginjug View Post
I've yet to meet a person who thought they might have a drinking problem who didn't have a drinking problem.

Non-alcoholics don't even think about drinking, let alone how much and scheming to drink more.

When I first got sober, I had a friend tell me he didn't think I was an alcoholic and was over-reacting. I wasn't over-reacting. I was and am an alcoholic or problem drinker, alcohol addict, lover of booze, lush, binge drinker ... whatever term you want to use, I qualified.
^This. Whether or not I am an alcoholic or have a problem with alcohol or am addicted to alcohol is semantics = the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. The terms may frighten us, but the reality should frighten us more.

It's nothing to be worried about though, no one here will judge you.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can understand your reservation in calling yourself a Alcoholic. I get it. I had that also. I had to come to terms with the progressive nature of alcoholism and the damage it has done to my life. I would do something ridiculous and then after some time rationalize my behaviors in my head. I found a way and a reason to drink.
All of my reasoning's are used up. Call it what you will. If alcohol is causing you to drag your child out in the dark, and if you are filling the bottle with water, trying to hide how much you have had, its a problem. Its clear as day, written all over this page in your words. Realistically, only you can decide your truth. Have you thought about taking 90 days off and seeing how you feel after?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Why do I find it difficult to accept that I have a drinking problem? ??
puss, the main reason I found it so hard to admit that I was an alcoholic is that then even I would know that I would have to do something about it.

The cat would be out of the bag ...... and I DID NOT want THAT cat out of the bag.

All the best.
Bob R
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

bagpussgirl, my story is very similar to yours -- a bottle of wine a night sometimes more. To myself I am using the word "alcoholic" I haven't yet spoken it out loud. It doesn't matter what the word is -- heavy drinker, alcoholic, drunk, overimbibing -- they all for me mean the same thing, alcohol was becoming more important in my life than it should have been. After a slip on Day 1 (so I had to have another Day 1), I'm now up to Day 8 and I'm feeling good. It's not starightforward and it''s not easy but it is so worth it.

Come and join us in the March Class.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

A lot of us find it hard to accept or admit we are alcoholics because we don't want to stop.

We want to be able to drink with no negative consequences, INCLUDING the consequence of having people around us know we are alcoholics.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
~sb

"My little boy deserves so much more!"

You've said that so well! What are you going to do so that you are fully present for your son?

Alcoholism is not being able to live each day without drinking. Alcohol is the solution to feeling ok, to relieving stress, to dealing with life.

Sobriety is a series of actions. Is it time to act? Is it time to live? Is it time to give your son more?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what you label yourself, alcoholic, problem drinker, whatever. Its how alcohol is affecting your life. Would your life be better without it? You have found yourself on an addiction site, so something in the back of your mind must be concerned about your consumption. Here is something to think about though: 1 bottle of wine per night, average 10 dollars per bottle. If you abstain from drinking for a year, that is over 3200 dollars saved in a year, enough to take your son and husband on a heck of a nice vacation. Wouldn't everyone be happier then?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am totally with you...as to why people would have one drink. ..I REALLY don't get it!!! This is what makes me think I might have a problem.
One drink was never enough for me. Every time I drank I wanted to get obliterated. That is not drinking normally. And I was not a daily drinker. There could be weeks between binges but I always ended up in the same place. It only gets worse.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by pluginjug View Post
I was and am an alcoholic or problem drinker, alcohol addict, lover of booze, lush, binge drinker ... whatever term you want to use, I qualified.
This.