Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to introduce myself on here. I am very new to this and have never posted on a forum before. I am looking for advice and similar stories to mine, so here goes, I will try not to ramble on to much.
For me I think my problem is two fold, an alcoholic sister plus a parent in denial. I come from a family of three sisters and mother, so as you can imagine things get pretty emotional. I expect my story is not so unusual. I have a sister who is an alcoholic, well I say this but she has never had a diagnosis, it's only from what I have witnessed, I have drawn this conclusion. She drinks a large amount every day as has done so for a long time now. She knows she drinks to much but has chosen to do nothing about it. My other problem is a parent who also knows this but when the issue comes to head, turns on the person who has spoken up and makes statements such as why are we hounding her, we have no right to do this etc etc.. I know I can't make her admit she has a problem and get help. I know I am the one who has to change they way I deal with things, but i do struggle when the issue becomes about me being the bad one, I guess it's a deflection from the real problem. I love my sisters dearly. I do admit my love does manifest itself as anger over her drinking as I am hopeless to help. I have decided for my own sanity it's best not to be in her life, is this the only way? Any advice or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks..
Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Detach with love. Lead by example.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Orlandodebbie ,
Welcome to SR , as well as the newby area here which is great for support there is also an area for friends and family of alcoholics here, which is full of inrofrmation and support :- Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Great to hear your concern and love , your sister is very lucky . Keep yourself well in all this ,
Bestwishes, M
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Many thanks, I will read through the links.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Debbie

D