Notices

Trip

Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trip

So this weekend my husband and I are suppose to be going on a trip where alcohol will most likely be present. He is in a bike race and there is an after party for everyone and dinners out all weekend. I don't want to slip up since today is only day 4. Just wanted to share my feelings as they have been in the back of my mind and as it draws closer I have unwanted anxiety about it.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wick View Post
So this weekend my husband and I are suppose to be going on a trip where alcohol will most likely be present. He is in a bike race and there is an after party for everyone and dinners out all weekend. I don't want to slip up since today is only day 4. Just wanted to share my feelings as they have been in the back of my mind and as it draws closer I have unwanted anxiety about it.
Thanks for your post!

Is the after party something you need to attend? Obviously you want to support your husband, but I'd like to assume he wants to support you in your recovery? If you explain to him your worries and what you believe you need to do for your own recovery, I'd like to think he wouldn't be against it.

For me personally, I have been finding it EASIER to not drink in social situations. I've told EVERYONE I know I'm done drinking (much to many of their shock and awe). When I'm around these people, not letting them down and proving to be a failure has turned into quite the motivator. It isn't easy by any means, but it gives me short term sobriety because of my ego.

I would have to limit my time out. Bring some hobbies with you enjoy doing and maybe if he still wants to attend the social events, you can stay back and have some time for you doing what you need to do for sobriety (like reading SR forums).

Good luck on your trip, YOU can do this.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 4 is great!

Is this something you 'must' do? It sounds like it could be difficult to manage. I wouldn't have been able to get through something like that early on in recovery.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gotta be honest that would be a very tough call for me on day 4, wick.

But...if you really feel you have to be there I would keep SR as close as possible.

I would roleplay the various situations you might be likely to encounter - people wanting you to drink, people asking why you're not drinking, what to do if you want to drink.

Make an escape plan for if things get too overwhelming.

Don;t listen to the voice that tells you you can just have one, or that you can restart sobriety the next morning or next week when you get home.

It lies.

There are some good ideas here too:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

D
Old 09-19-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

If you must go, DEFFO have an escape plan, and/or limit your time.

There's always UBER.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is something that I feel I should attend for him, because of all he does for me. But limiting my time and maybe passing on the after party, sound like the way to go. I think with my husband there it will make it easier as he is the one person I really don't want to disappoint. I have already made it a goal to check in with SR everyday and more while i'm away. Thank you for the support, having others thoughts and ideas have helped calm my mind some
Old 09-21-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All the best for the trip Wick, you will feel so good returning from it still sober and on your journey.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Be prepared to take walks away from the drinking. If you get a little tight -- step outside for a while.

A nice sober day wished for all,
M-Bob