Notices

Taking on too much

Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking on too much

Well, I am on day 5 of being sober and still hanging in there. I have gained a lot of weight over the years of drinking everynight and then eating garbage food. I have been trying to diet at the same time as quitting the alcohol. Is this too much to take on at one time? I think I might be making myself more distressed and angry not being able to drink or eat for pleasure. Any suggestions? I am assuming that some of the weight will come off just by not drinking those empty calories anymore.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you seen a doctor yet? They may have advice on a diet to help your body recover and do bloodwork/other tests to make sure you are physically OK.

I think it's pretty common for folks to eat more during withdrawal but it's best to have yourself checked out to make sure there are no underlying issues first.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I think that's taking on too much. I've given myself license to eat whenever I want as long as it's relatively healthy foods. No fast food binges, limit the sweets, lot's of lean meats and veggies. As I progress, I know I'll exercise more and lose any weight I gain. I made some goals to that effect.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did see my doctor about right before Jan. and told him I was going to try and quit at the start of the new year. I had bloodwork done and they said everything came back fine. I am on medicine for High Blood Pressure and Acid reflux which I am still taking.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

two dumdums lollypops are 51 calories.

we do crave sugar, but it can get out of hand.

eat well, eat veggies, oatmeal, good for you stuff.

be gentle with you, you are healing!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is my concern. I don't want to create a situation in which I get frustrated and turn to the beer again. I guess food is better than booze for the time being.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

After I quit I had bloodwork done and everything was good except cholesterol. Seems like I eat a lot more now too, even a couple months into recovery - but for me I actually lost weight. I think it was because I drank only beer - much of it high calorie/high-test microbrew stuff. So I was taking in a TON of empty calories.

Now I try to surround myself with better snack food and try and eat small amounts on a regular basis, vs eating huge meals. Bringing snacks with me to work is much better than the alternative of vending machine snacks or cafeteria food. Baby carrots, pretzels, nuts, fruit, etc...you can find lots of "good" things to eat that taste good too.

One of my favorite things even when I was drinking was Hummus. It's a much healthier alternative to fatty dips/spreads and tastes awesome on just about anything. Super easy to make at home too if you don't want to buy the prepared stuff which can get spendy.

Bottom line though, your body is recovering and needs energy to do so. Just stay in touch with the Doc if things don't seem to be going well.