Notices

Tough Weekend Coming Up

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Tell them you quit for now, you're on a special diet, the dr said you cant, you're driving..you get the point...there are many things you can say. Will your wife not drink too? This is the one instance where I think it's okay to tell a little white lie.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people would question the idea of giving something up for Lent. I know it is common in Catholic schools, but I do not think I have ever met an adult who did that!

And if it was a Jew or non-churchgoer...I would really question !!

The truth is few would question someone choosing not to drink. It would seem pretty intrusive given that the reasons could range from not feeling like it, to religious conversion, to a health problem. Rather than opening a can of worms, most will just accept it as something the person does not feel like doing and not seek out any further reason.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dear Bacon Dude:

What nonsense are you spewing in lieu of my beloved Sober Weekend Thread?!? Keep it up and I shall sentence you to 30 mandatory non-bacon days.

But all kidding aside.....you're thinking W-H-A-T?!? What I took away from your post is giving yourself permission to drink "if you feel like it". If that were me, I'd never make it through the dinner. I'd never see Sunday either. Or Monday. Or Tuesday. You get my point.

I didn't know that you hadn't committed to quitting forever but I can appreciate it. I tested myself to the point of near death and now know I cannot drink. But we all have our own journey.

I understand if you're uncomfortable turning down alcohol when you first get sober. I kept my sobriety a deep, dark secret, which in hindsight caused me more stress. Until I was comfortable with anyone knowing I had just said I couldn't drink because of an interaction with medication. No one blinked twice.

Would your wife be willing to forgo alcohol on Saturday night? I understand it's not necessarily fair to ask that of her but I believe it's a great way for her to show her support for you in early sobriety.

Keep posting & let us know how you're feeling about Saturday night. If anything else, we can strengthen your resolve to not drink!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
Does the couple have any idea that you've given up drinking?
That's the answer right there. tell them you don't drink anymore. If they are real friends they will support you in that decision. For me I would just say, sorry but I will be unable to make it. I wouldn't think of putting myself in that kind of a situation so early in recovery. I like my peace and if even just thinking about it was stealing my peace then I pretty much have my answer right there. It's wouldn't be a good idea for me.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Nonsensical,

If I get this right, facing the challenges and overcoming will be rewarding.
On the other hand, thumbing your nose at the beast would be a hoot

I think you have the power and the character to turn your mindset around from just a wee bit cowering to full of bravado - and to carry it off with style!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
That's the answer right there. tell them you don't drink anymore. If they are real friends they will support you in that decision. For me I would just say, sorry but I will be unable to make it. I wouldn't think of putting myself in that kind of a situation so early in recovery. I like my peace and if even just thinking about it was stealing my peace then I pretty much have my answer right there. It's wouldn't be a good idea for me.
Very good point! Real friends understand and support you especially in early recovery.

I can't worry about spoiling other peoples fun, my sobriety is worth much more than that.

If I go somewhere and I don't feel comfortable, I leave. The great thing about being an alcoholic is that I don't have to put myself in any situation that I don't like or feel uncomfortable in anymore .
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Don't drink tomorrow night nonsensical. Think about your family who loves you. Your daughter who saw you on your last binge and organized the intervention. Do it for them.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ahhh -- I just can't stand anyone being hesitant to say they're not drinking. It's not something we have to hide.

Eric Clapton and Alice Cooper don't drink. Even Frank Zappa didn't drink.

Does anybody think Frank Zappa put up with anybody giving him crap about not drinking?

Dude - say it loud and say it proud - I DON"T DRINK.

Wooohooo!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Nonsensical,

I managed a rock concert last week sober, with some work mates where usually we'll all drink till we can't drink any more.

I got the expected flabergasted response when I told them I wasn't drinking any more. I kept it honest and told them about the anxiety attacks. It lasted about five minutes in all. But that was it all evening.

I realised that this is how it will be each time I meet for the first time with each social circle I have. But I also realised that I only have to get through it once.