Notices

The Why to Quit List

Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Why to Quit List

Here's my updated list (after my last failed attempt) that I'm sure many of you can relate to. Enjoy and hopefully it helps someone!

WHY TO QUIT – DAY 1: March 5, 2013

• A major life decision and turning point in life - do this when you are young and before it is too late – you have had more than enough of it and aren’t missing anything – sobriety is your priority
• Alcohol affects you differently – you will never be able to drink “socially” and what would be the point of having 1 or 2 drinks anyway – the point was always to get drunk – don’t try to convince yourself otherwise – you are in the minority with the addiction
• The negatives now outweigh the positives – it’s just not that fun anymore – it will never feel the same (as the early years) and will only progressively get worse – you don’t get a fresh start after a “break”
• Feelings of misery, depression, guilt, shame, anxiety – they will continue to haunt you if you continue to drink – drinking is the cause, not the symptom or cure
• Isolation/Loneliness – sitting at home getting drunk by myself – it’s ugly and pathetic – there are plenty of productive ways to relax
• Dangerous activities (e.g. drunk driving, unprotected sex, etc.) – you are jeopardizing your future – eventually you will hurt yourself or somebody else – think about jail, a criminal record, STDs, pregnancies
• Horrible insomnia, sweating, hangovers, headaches, nausea, suicidal thoughts – think of the constant (past) fear of going to bed
• Poor nutrition, health, workouts – low self-image, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness – you can be in the best shape of your life if you quit
• Lack of mental clarity, poor performance at work and school – think about your career and academic goals – think about how alcohol has impeded them
• Long-term damage to the brain and body – you can live a long healthy/clean/pure happy life and reverse the damage done – you are poisoning yourself in every way
• Inability to maintain relationships – nobody wants to be with a drunk and being drunk won’t get you a family life, marriage, and the things that (will) matter to you
• Tried to quit many times and failed – now is your time and you don’t want to start over –it will be completely demoralizing – think about how many times it took to quit smoking
• Too old to be bar-hopping – it’s irresponsible, expensive, and unattractive – look at the people around you – nothing good ever comes of it
• Loss of control of finances – bankruptcy, inability to control spending – think of the money saved and what it could be used for (international travel, material things, etc.)
• Wasted time – think of all you are missing – camping trips, fishing, skiing, climbing, golf, backpacking, mountain biking, social clubs, etc.
• Foolish behavior – loss of friends, drunk texting, injuries, acting like an unmitigated ass – you have done more than enough damage to your image/reputation
• Complete loss of control and unpredictability – anger, fighting, drug use – you are basically liable to do anything without knowing it
• Disconnected from family – embarrassment, shame, preoccupation with alcohol – it always leads to neglect/avoidance of those who matter most
• Alcoholism is not glamorous, sexy, or exciting – it is a sad downward spiral
• Alcoholism does not get you sympathy – it makes people feel sorry for you
• The vicious cycle will never end unless it is broken – drinking is simply not an option
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Exactly right - agree totally with eveything you said - amazing to see it all laid out like that - there are so many disadvantages! Makes you wonder why we would ever think its a 'good' thing to have a drink
Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Terrific, SoberD! Prescription directions: read every time we have a strong urge.

My second phase: listing the reasons to drink, I only came up with two:

1. To relax when I'm stressed
2. To blot out my mind. (this one may not seem obvious as a positive but it started as blotting out unbearable memories).

When I read these, I realize that there are a variety of other ways to accomplish the same thing. So now I'm starting a list of alternative actions to use :-)

Sassy
Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also sounds simple but for me not drinking is simple, drinking is complicated, it takes more effort to drink then to not eventually.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very Nice , SoberD. Each point in the list, makes a perfect sense and everything mentioned in your post is eternal truth. Thank you.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks - I find it helpful to read when I am having doubts. It is so easy to forget the troubles that the sauce has given you, particularly when you are "cured" after not drinking for some period...
Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't think of a good reason NOT to quit.

I agree with all the points you make.

Tom