Notices

Its my identity...

Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its my identity...

Looked through my pics on Facebook and basically all 600 of them are me at parties or drunk other than maybe 10...

Also I am team captain/manager/organizer of a softball team called the bad news beers... Softball has been my passion the last few yrs
(Drink a ton at ball/tourneys)

Also beer t shirts and cups etc. that I have, should I through it all away/give it away?

Also I'm from a small town 250ppl how do I give up friends that I've been so close with for 19 yrs.
(These friends have been my drinking partners)

I'm sure somebody's dealt with this stuff so any input would help! Thanks guys!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh ya I'm just a day 3 trying to figure things out...
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After reading what I just wrote... I guess it's time to create a sober identity!!! Cool! I can still do things and have friends, just skip the drinking and nonsense!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking was my identity and constant companion for 20 years.
Not drinking and being in recovery has been a major part of my life now for 6 years.

It's possible to change Brett

D
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I so know what you mean. Being the addict/whatever is my identity. I feel a bit lost as I'm losing that.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found there was a real authentic me in there somewhere.
I'm sure you guys will find the same

D
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was/is me Brett. I was always the go-to guy if someone wanted to party when growing up and even after we were all growed up... I still have the same group of friends that I've known since grade school and have been drinking with since highschool...

Even at work I am/was that guy. I have to travel a ton for work with "teams" so we spend alot of time together on the road... If someone wanted to hit the hotel bar or any other bar I was always up for it...

Anyways, I'm only a couple of months into being sober, so I don't really have any solid advice to give you, but I figured it might do some good letting you know that you're not the only one who has been "that guy"... We can both do better...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

'identities' aren't all they're cracked up to be

just let it go, and something else will take its place - something better.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Brett11 View Post
After reading what I just wrote... I guess it's time to create a sober identity!!!
DING DING DING DING DING!

Give that man a prize.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey brett11
love the facebook stuff! But really, do you want to try to quit drinking? Is it a problem for you?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't want to try, I want to actually do it.

Honestly I can make friends with my drunk identity, but for the wrong reasons, I think they just felt comfortable around me because they could open up to me knowing that I couldn't judge them due to my drunken states. Or maybe it gives me a boost in confidence. Either way I really want to discover a sober, straight thinking, dependable, safe man inside myself.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It's very cool to make such a huge positive change and you can absolutely do it! I used to be that girl...but as I reframed myself as a non-drinker, people accepted me as such and to be honest most embraced me as such. ps I'm still quite capable of being the life of the party...don't need booze for that. You can too if you want to be. Actually, you can be whatever you choose when you give up the booze, because you are truly free to decide. Best to you on your journey.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me, most of my friends adjusted just fine once they got used to it. I find the only ones who have problems are those who question their own drinking habits. You do change as you gained more insight into yourself. But many things are still you, you just have to practice.

That's my best advice: you need practice becoming you again, learning to deal with things sober. It's a process, so don't be freaked out if it test time!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Brett11,
Boy that hit home with me. I've actually had Facebook messages from friends asking where last weeks drunk pictures are. Eeek
I don't think there is ever predicting how people are going to react when we change who we were. I just had to go for it and trust that they would like me anyway. Amazingly for me, they like me just as much if not more.
I don't want to look at my Facebook page 20 years from now and see nothing but pics of me and a martini.

Welcome to SR. Hope you find what you need here!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
It's very cool to make such a huge positive change and you can absolutely do it! I used to be that girl...but as I reframed myself as a non-drinker, people accepted me as such and to be honest most embraced me as such. ps I'm still quite capable of being the life of the party...don't need booze for that. You can too if you want to be. Actually, you can be whatever you choose when you give up the booze, because you are truly free to decide. Best to you on your journey.
This is really inspiring to me - re-framing myself but still being accepted and embraced - my aspiration. Thanks!