Notices

Starting Over

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this site. I'm here because I was 2 and 1/2 years sober and then slipped not too long ago, and I'm still having trouble pulling myself back up. I was able to make it 2.5 years because my life had gotten so bad prior to getting sober that I just thought the prospect of returning to that life would be enough. Then when I got sober, I achieved things that I thought were out of reach for me. Now I'm in school and its high pressure and I slipped at the start of this semester and haven't been able to keep it together. I just really wanted to get out how I feel today to people who understand. I'm scared. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome Puppy - there's a lot of help and support here
How did you stay sober 2 and a half years?

D
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

Good on you for starting over Puppy!
Welcome to SR, this is a great place to be!
I hope we can help you on you journey back to sobriety.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. I think I was able to stay sober most of all because I had a strong support system in my family and I made a point of exercising and staying health. I went away to school this year out of state so I'm away from that and it's law school and its just it's all consuming. I'm a 30 year old among a bunch of 21 year old kids who I don't relate to so I'm kind of socially isolated. I do have 2 really good friends..but it's a little bit hard being older. I think the hardest thing for me is those years I was sober, I subconsciously told myself that some day I'd be able to drink normally again and I'm having a hard time finally saying that I can't.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know how awful it feels to work hard amd reap the benefits of sobriety... Only to slip and fall into the pattern of binging again. Dust yourself off... I hope and pray I make it 2.5 years... And you can do it again. I had a fellow musician/recovering alcoholic describe it to me... "It's like when you write a bad song. You spend so much time working on it only to reflect and realize its rubbish... Then you think about the wasted time on that song. You just have to remember all the good songs, throw the bad one away amd forget about it, and study the aspects that made it a bad song to begin with... Trying not to repeat them on the next song."
Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puppy27 View Post
I think the hardest thing for me is those years I was sober, I subconsciously told myself that some day I'd be able to drink normally again and I'm having a hard time finally saying that I can't.
That is 100% what has been my biggest struggle. But every time I buy that six pack... It turns into 12. Then the vicious cycle. Every time. I want to drink socially so bad. I want to be drunk even more, I've learned. And sobriety is so much better... I'm a work in progress. Feel bad when I fail and grateful God hasn't given up on me when I stand back up.

Right now I'm really learning why I fail... In strong hopes of staying on my feet.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, Paddler. That's really well put and that's what I need to remember. You know and my family knows I slipped but they don't know that I'm still battling back and forth with it and I haven't had too many days where I've had a drink since I told them about the slip, but when I do I feel like I'm betraying everyone and I'm just so ashamed.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

those years I was sober, I subconsciously told myself that some day I'd be able to drink normally again and I'm having a hard time finally saying that I can't.
Is that ever true for me. I was able to drink in moderation when I was with people but as soon as I got alone the drinks started pounding down.

And I found that the few times I was able to moderate just made me more susceptible to getting smashed 95% of the other times. It just let me fool myself into hurting myself. Then the drinking alone went from weekends to almost every night.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's exactly what it's like for me, ClearLight.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Puppy,
I use this site and the 12 step program to keep me on track. You are doing so well it would be a shame to screw it up over the tenuous pleasure of a drink. Think it through.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Puppy - we're so glad you're here. This place saved me when I was desperate and feeling so alone. No one in my life had a problem with drinking.

I know how you feel, relapsing after some sober time. I had 3 yrs. once, and decided I could have a few once in awhile (during a time of stress). I was 'gone' again for 7 yrs.! I didn't drink constantly that whole time, but almost. I crashed and burned towards the end and was drinking 24/7 - even got dui's, which had never happened before. I had no choice but to kick it out of my life for good. You can do this, Puppy. We're very happy you found us. You are not alone.