Notices

Think i lost myself along the way

Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think i lost myself along the way

I feel like I have lost parts of me. I'm not the person I was with the interests I had. Is this because of drink?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can get that back though. I think any addiction which is all encompassing tends to suck the life out of other areas of your life. Once you have been sober for a while you might find your interest in things comes back. I found it odd in a way because I still had to be obsessed with alcohol to recover, but eventually it starts fading into the background and the real you comes back x
Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I stopped drinking, I realized I wasn't the person I thought I was. It always reminds of Mia Farrow's book 'What Falls Away', and I felt like most of who I thought I was had fallen away. So, I had a lot of re-building to do.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Lizella, I got lost for about 42 years because of the drinking. If you decide alcohol is the reason you are having problems, please do something quickly.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lizella View Post
I feel like I have lost parts of me. I'm not the person I was with the interests I had. Is this because of drink?
Yes, the same here. I sometimes feel no interest in things I used to be passionate about. I believe this is one of the longer term biological effects of alcohol on the brain. It also may be a short term effect of withdrawl. Although, I believe that can change with sobriety--the body is pretty good at healing itself if we take care of it, but it takes time.

I think if you focus on staying sober, you will eventually find yourself once again seeking out the things that interest you.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
When I stopped drinking, I realized I wasn't the person I thought I was. .
Ditto for me too! I always thought I had my **** together. Since I quit drinking over 7 months ago I can't believe how much my life has changed and how much more stuff I actually try to do and can do. Not to sound conceited but I am acutally proud of myself! I had such low self-esteem and would never stick up for myself.

I was so "stuck" when I drank. Afraid to try anything new, afraid to reach out to people. Thought I had to conform to what people wanted.

Now I understand when people say they are a grateful alcoholic. I never understood that before. I'm so grateful that I've been given a second chance.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for replying. I am still struggling to stay sober so I guess that is why I need to do to get back to being me.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AA describes alcoholism as a spiritual disease. It was/is in my case.

The last 3 lines in AA's HOW IT WORKS says:

"Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.
"

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

gosh lizella I can relate, but That person is still there and if you keep doing the next right thing you will rediscover a very special person.

It was only just over a year ago I was one very lost puppy and today things are really good. I have choices today, I have a renewed interest in life.

I know it seems like you will never get past these feelings but just keep talking about it in here and take some suggestions from people who are staying clean and sober.
Meetings are important to my recovery and I actually enjoy goin to see friends. I found when I got sober for a bit that I gained so much more self respect for myself and I began to surround myself with good people and healthy activities , instead of just going along with the crowd.

You will create an identity you are proud of in recovery but it just takes a little time, but it will be quicker than you think. hang in there ok? God Bless!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I didn't go back to who I was pre-recovery, but I have grown into someone worthwhile. Not the old me, doing the old things (well, some of my interests remain the same) but SO many of my old interests fell away, but it's ok. There's a whole world of things to replace them.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Proud

[QUOTE=LadyinBC;3860686] Not to sound conceited but I am acutally proud of myself! [/ QUOTE]

You have every right to be proud of yourself! I am proud of you and I don't even know you! It's a wonderful thing when you have self worth and you should be proud!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Lizella. I can really relate to this. This one of the main reasons I felt like I needed to quit for good this time. I had this terrifying sense that I had no idea who I was anymore. More than that I felt like a sleepwalker, moving through my life but with no clarity or sense of self. I still feel pretty lost, but am finding it so much easier to be aware of what I think and feel when sober. It's still a minute-to-minute challenge to not drink, but it's so rewarding to feel like I'm gaining a sense of self again.