SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newbie (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/287368-newbie.html)

anima 03-13-2013 10:35 AM

Hi all.

I'm never posted in any forum EVER so this is all new to me. I'm finally admitting that I have a drinking problem and stopped drinking my bottle of wine a night on Monday the 11th. 2 days ago. So far it's been fine. I'm a little emotional. I have a headache and I have fears that I will completely fail at this, but, my relationship and my health depends on this. I am planning to go to my first ever AA meeting tonight. I'm nervous as hell and have no idea what to expect. Any advice would be great!

anima:thanks

Ghostlight 03-13-2013 12:41 PM

Hello, and welcome and congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.
Going to a meeting is a great idea, you'll meet people there who are there for the same reason as you, so there is nothing to fear.
Maybe introduce yourself as a newcomer, or, you don't have to say anything if you choose.
I was so scared when I went to my first meeting. I actualy walked by the place several times before I went it. Best decision I ever made.

I hope it goes well. And keep posting here whenever you need to. I'd love to know how your meeting goes.

Best to you.

Nonsensical 03-13-2013 12:58 PM

Go a few minutes early and introduce yourself to a few people one at a time. I always found that easier than trying to introduce myself to the whole room at once.

Ask about literature that may be available. It's a conversation starter, and the literature is useful to learning about AA.

Impurrfect 03-13-2013 12:59 PM

((anima)) - Welcome to SR!!

I think everyone is nervous about their first meeting. I know after mine, I couldn't believe I'd been so nervous about it, as it went really well.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Dee74 03-13-2013 02:54 PM

Hi and welcome anima - this link gives you a good idea about AA meetings :)

Your First AA Meeting<
D

hypochondriac 03-13-2013 04:33 PM

Welcome to SR Anima :)

I was terrified too, but you'll only feel that fear once. It really will be the best thing you ever did. In the end I didn't carry on going to meetings but I got a lot of love and support from AA when I needed it most. Let us know how you got on :) x

Marcher13 03-13-2013 04:41 PM

Welcome Anima, my drinking problem was exactly the same as yours, too much wine in the evenings. I'm on Day 6 of being sober and SR has been such a huge support to me. Come over to our March class in this section and meet many others who are starting out.

Hevyn 03-13-2013 05:59 PM

Hi Anima! Welcome to the family. You're going to feel right at home here - we all understand what you're going through.

Let us know how the meeting goes, and how you're feeling. Be proud of yourself for deciding to make this big change. You can do it!

LDT 03-13-2013 06:22 PM

:welcome. from a fellow Louisianan, just a few hours west of you, anima!

DFU 03-13-2013 06:39 PM

I cried and kept my head down throughout my entire first meeting. I couldn't believe that I was actually there (ego!). I have since come to look forward to going. It feels good to be around people like me, who understand what I am going through and who I can identify with. I hope you have a similar experience and that you keep going back!

anima 03-15-2013 08:06 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!! I'm officially 5 days sober. I went to a meeting the other night and it was a little weird since most people there seemed to be court ordered to be there. I think I'd like to find a women's meeting or beginners meeting. Also, I'm not religious and all the God talk was a lot for me - though I think if be ok with it if I felt a little more comfortable.

The biggest things I've struggled with are not even drinking!

I have no patience for noise! Tonight a couple of our friends stopped over and I couldn't even deal with all the talking!
Lots of anxiety (I used wine at night to self medicate I think )
Crying at the drop of a hat.

But hanging in there nonetheless :)

Anima

artsoul 03-15-2013 08:15 PM

Welcome and congratulations on 5 days, Anima! It gets better, so hang in there.... I found that my anxiety got so much better after a week or two sober. I hadn't realized that it was alcohol that caused most of it in the first place.

Getting sober is a bit scary, but it's SO worth it. Just take it a day at a time and keep posting/reading!:welcome