Notices

Cross addiction

Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cross addiction

This doesn't seem to come up very often despite seemingly being very common. I'm not talking about cross addictions with other drugs because really that's just not sobriety, but the minor stuff, food, sex, shopping, gambling... I have come across a few recovering alcoholics with gambling and food addictions but it's not something I have heard people discussing how to tackle. What do different approaches to recovery say on this point?

From my own perspective it is something I am concerned about. I wasn't bothered when I first quit drinking because anything is better than drinking right? But then I was thinking today how I used to have issues with food before I ever started drinking. And I definitely have issues with overspending. Maybe this is just normal stuff and I just need more self control. But I am worried I am just going to be juggling addictions to various silly little things which whilst they aren't as damaging as alcohol are still unhealthy, mainly mentally. I don't want to have to need anything to function or be happy.

Any suggestions or experience anyone would like to share...? x
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would not really call gambling/sex addictions as minor. I believe gambling can destroy lives in the same way as alcohol/drugs. The gambling can lead to stealing money to support the habit. It can be kept in secret for a long time because the compulsive gambling can continue to work or not come home smelling like booze and stumbling around.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First I gave up drinking, then I gave up smoking. Now I'm working a 2nd hand Weight Watchers program that my wife is doing to get my weight in balance.

My wife would probably think that the time I spend fantasizing about Pamela Anderson and that new Cadillac at the dealership would be better spent in getting things done around the house here ... if she knew.

There's always something rearing it's ugly head. Sometimes recovery is like "Whack-A-Mole".

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

In my life I've wrestled with destructive gambling, an even more destructive drug problem before settling on alcohol as the final ruination.

You can't isolate addiction. If you have an addictive personality you will always try to compensate in other directions. It's like that stupid bash the mole game where you hit one and another one pops up.

In line with Jesuit thinking, you have to treat the whole person not the individual symptoms.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
There's always something rearing it's ugly head. Sometimes recovery is like "Whack-A-Mole".

All the best.

Bob R
Ha! You beat me too it, Bob! It's so true, isn't it?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think it's a great topic, hypo..... I've found the same tendencies in myself. It's like peeling an onion; you can rid of the first layer and find that there's another one underneath. Just knowing that and being aware of our tendencies is half the battle, though.

I just try to focus on making progress. Sometimes that means using the same tendencies in a positive way (like turning a food addiction into an addiction for healthy eating, if you get my drift).
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have eating disorders and alcoholism and it was like that game - whack a mole. Hit one down, the other one comes flying up! I went to treatment for both this last time around in a rehab center. I never admitted my eating disorder before and I came clean, which really helped me with both addictions. I read up alot, and I see a therapist once a week, which has really helped. I didn't want to be a non-drinker who was obsessed with her weight or a drinker who was a sloppy person. Working on both has helped me stay sober and gain healthy eating habits. It's pretty common with people like us. I for one, am an addict for sure!! But, you can get a hold on it if you really want to and try for it. good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I would not really call gambling/sex addictions as minor. I believe gambling can destroy lives in the same way as alcohol/drugs. The gambling can lead to stealing money to support the habit. It can be kept in secret for a long time because the compulsive gambling can continue to work or not come home smelling like booze and stumbling around.
Yes, you're totally right. I think I was trying to underplay my own problems rather than the addictions themselves.

I think it is interesting in terms of recovery methods/theories on alcoholism though. Allen Carr doesn't really believe in addictive personalities, just addictive substances and while I agree with that to a certain extent, I mean an addictive substance has got to be more addictive than one that doesn't chemically alter your brain right? But if we're all playing whack-a-mole then it doesn't seem likely that it's the only factor. I think AVRT would go the same way, seeing the addiction as separate from the person. I thought maybe my eating habits were an over reaction to quitting drinking, seeing as we all tend to overeat to start off with, but then I remembered that my relationship with food has always been weird.

Artsoul, I love the idea of using these traits in a positive way. To be honest my obsessive tendencies do create quite positive outcomes sometimes, like at work.

Thank you for your responses x
Old 03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I have an addictive personality too, but as Artsoul said you can use it to your advantage sometimes. For example, I'm never late for anything, and I always take my vitamins.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Night owl

I agree that it is me who is the addict, the substance or issues can vary but I am the one with the addictive personality. I have changed substance over the years, first alcohol, then pot, now opiates, while never getting that the problem was ME not the substance du jour.

I also struggle with disordered eating if not a full blown eatng disorder. I am a cutter, too. So there's always something. It's about learning how to heal all of me and the painful causes of my addictions and suffering. But I am coming to believe that I will probably always have to guard against addiction because of my own fanatical, obsessive and addictive nature.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I like Anna's answer

I think for most of the first year I got caught up in other things - I ate too much sweet stuff, drank too much pop, worried too much about my health, bought a lot of CDs I never played again...got into some really awful 1970s sitcoms...

but it evened out after a while

D
Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a problem with most things ... too much or too little.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I apply what I learn in recovery to all the areas of my life.

I have multiple substance and process addictions, they stem from the same issues inside of me, both biological (brain chemistry...it can get hooked on whatever you train it to use as a signal to release happy chemicals) and emotional...and throw in some mental illness just for good measure.

Focusing on ONE substance or behavior didn't do me any good because my life was chaos all across the board, I had to go after the root issues.

What I have found helpful is to use one addiction as a jumping off point, and as I work my recovery ask myself how does THIS apply to my other addictions? Journal journal journal. Visit other forums. Honesty that sometimes makes me squirm...it's a process.

I see much headway!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
(brain chemistry...it can get hooked on whatever you train it to use as a signal to release happy chemicals)
I never looked at it that way Threshold, good point. I wonder if you can train your brain to not need something to release happy chemicals though... or are we too accustomed to that now. I just want to be happy without stuff.

Has anyone any tips on how to move forwards. I am thinking meditation at this point. I am not doing a formal program any more so I am interested in how other people manage to even things out...
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is an interesting discussion. I'm very new (Day 6). I think that I'm only dealing with one adddiction, alcohol, but from the discussion I can see that personality may indicate a tendency to addiction. I'm a 100% person, whatever I'm doing I do completely even to the point of overdoing and micromanaging, both of which aren't good. But, as Anna says, that part of your character can work to advantage too.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I wonder if you can train your brain to not need something to release happy chemicals though... or are we too accustomed to that now. I just want to be happy without stuff.
I think this is what Anna was getting at, that we can train our brain to release it when we do something positive and life supporting.

It's also good if we can learn to live without the extremes...ALL the time, but hey, who wants to give that up entirely? NOT ME!

But I know it is critical for me to learn to live and function in the middle too, to meet my daily responsibilities and address the part of life that isn't about the highs and lows and drama. Some self discipline, some maturity (grrrr dirty words to me)

THAT is my recovery program, to stop hating and fearing LIFE. because a lot of life is what happens in the middle. I actually get MORE life when I am wiling to take that on, not less. But facing my fears and resentments isn't fun or comfortable. But I am using a variety of means to help me face them. When I get introduced and acquainted...much of it is not as bad as I feared.

I am a little hesitant to share some of my methods here...I admit. Some people might think they are sillly, but hey, they get the job done for me.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey nothing is silly that works. I feel silly that I feel the need to live at the extremes and that my emotional balance knows no middle ground
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
LOL I like Anna's answer

I think for most of the first year I got caught up in other things - I ate too much sweet stuff, drank too much pop, worried too much about my health, bought a lot of CDs I never played again...got into some really awful 1970s sitcoms...

but it evened out after a while

D
This gives me hope all will be normal someday