Notices

Need some support

Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some support

I am working on Day 4 but I know tonight is going to be very difficult. I will be around people that I find that work as triggers for me to want to drink. It's because they see me as a recreational activity when I drink. I haven't seen these people in a long time and since they are relatives and this visit has been planned, I need to be really strong. Any suggestions on how to stay strong?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Put yourself FIRST! These people will come and go, but you will ALWAYS be you so put that as your #1 priority. Don't give into pressure. Because, seriously, they will leave and you'll be stuck in your own head tomorrow morning and feel so much better if you wake up having accomplished sobriety.

I'll tell you, I've been struggling with sobriety for YEARS and I'm 137 days sober today! If I can do that, anyone in the world can do that. I drank everyday. The one thing I did different was join AA and really put my sobriety first. LIfe is so much better today. In a way I cannot describe. Believe me, the more time you put in, the prouder you will be and the better you will feel.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gameofthrones10 View Post
I am working on Day 4 but I know tonight is going to be very difficult. I will be around people that I find that work as triggers for me to want to drink. It's because they see me as a recreational activity when I drink. I haven't seen these people in a long time and since they are relatives and this visit has been planned, I need to be really strong. Any suggestions on how to stay strong?
I'm here with you on Day 4.

Think of how good you will feel tomorrow if you do not touch alcohol.

Do not have a drink. Enjoy that accomplishment.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

There are times when we have to cancel plans due to illness or some other reason, and I'd think long and hard before I put myself in this situation at day 4. That being said, it's good that you're thinking this through ahead of time, game...... If there's no way to get out of the situation, you can at least set some boundaries (no alcohol in the house, not going to a bar, etc.) and/or let them know you're not drinking and plan some sober activities.

Like 773niki said, putting yourself (and your sobriety) first is the way to go.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will keep your words of encouragement in mind and use them as strength. Thank you for your insight.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Since it is an event you feel obliged to attend; I would have an exit plan in place should you decide to leave early. Also, you are not their "recreational activity," nor their entertainment, so don't try to live up to a self-imposed role that may jeopardize your recovery. If anyone questions why you are not drinking, just tell them you are getting over something and you are not feeling 100%.

Good luck, day four is challenging enough without added triggers or stress.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, a Plan "B" is of utmost importance. Don't put yourself in a situation where you feel trapped.

If it gets too uncomfortable, bow out like a normal person would do.

My Group leader in the Recovery Home in '89 said that a big character defect/flaw in the alcoholic psyche is the fact that he/she can't see their options.

All the best.

Bob R