What happens when you quit?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

What happens when you quit?

Quit drinking.

Quit trying.

Just quit.

It's not easy to quit. I try everyday to quit living. That's just not that easy to do.

I try to quit hoping. Again.... Not easy.

I try to quit loving. Not possible.

So? I guess I will just move on. Keep going. I know so few things for certain. I cannot drink.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me:
Quit drinking- life improves.
Quit trying- life crumbles.
Just quit- not an option.
Quit living- drink again.

Again for me- quitting drinking is the absolute must. It affected every single thought, move and action in my world. While drinking I was a downright bitch, simply to cover hurt fear and depression caused by my own actions. I have been given another chance to change my actions, and thoughts. To see the beauty in this life. It's not always rainbows and flowers, but there is so much to see that I was missing due to the tunnel vision of my addiction. I feel free, and I'm not quitting that!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you fallingtogether.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Weasel...one foot in front of the other. Life is not easy at times, why would we expect it any other way. But that doesn't mean we ever give up hope, or trying.

Jim
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

that line from Shawshank Redemption (one of my favorite movies and books) comes to mind....and can certainly be applied to my sobriety.

"Get Busy Livin' or Get busy Dyin'...."

I chose to live instead of slowly poisoning my body and my brain.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Weasel - I am starting today and I know how you feel. It's gonna be hard but I think that's our main problem - we drinkers aren't good at facing things head on - I have finally decided that's what I need to do whether I like it or not. From reading all the posts here, no-one has yet to say that they regret being sober. That's what I am looking forward too. Take care xx
Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
well I see "quitting" and "sustaining" as two sides to the same coin. To sustain some things, I must quit other things...to quit some things, I must sustain other things.

and round and round it goes.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are some things that i need to quit: Controlling, drinking, self-pity, crying, drinking.
There are some things that i need to cultivate: A different thought process, a program, a job, a healthy understanding, a humbled spirit, a healthier lifestyle.

Keep on keeping on Weasel. This too shall pass.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

A rational man conforms to his environment.

An irrational man attempts to make his environment conform to him.

Therefore, all progress in society is accomplished by irrational men.

Have a great day!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Once you quit drinking, you will discover peace of mind, which is something I never experienced while drinking. It's priceless and just that can allow you to live again. I promise.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by 773niki View Post
Once you quit drinking, you will discover peace of mind, which is something I never experienced while drinking. It's priceless and just that can allow you to live again. I promise.
I'll second this
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit drinking. I quit smoking. I am exhausted from all this self improvment. I feel like I have been zapped by a mega stun gun. I am not doing crazy stuff anymore. I just exist. Sober. I don't know if I am in a phase or what. Tomorrow makes 5 full months of sobriety. I wish I could say everything is sunshine and lolipops. Maybe I am craving a rush. Addictive thinking????? I don't know
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

In the up's, in the down's we're here for you Ken .
It was certainly scarry when i gave up drinking and started percieving the world with clarity. It's taken 18 months for me to start changing my habbits with food , habbits i held onto with a vice like grasp , there have been other things along the way i've had to change or let go of.

I've found i only get delt as much do-do as i can just about handle , even though i think i'll loose it, as long as i keep putting one foot infront of the next and trying to make the next right decision it's been been tollerable and a lot of it has actually been realy nice .

That i choose to be sober today, i hope proves to you how it is for me today .
Stick with us Ken , stick with it , i for one love having you around , my recovery brother .

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey m.... Thank you. That was very nice to say.

Everyone who responded with support... Thank you. The day is getting better. Your posts helped me a lot today.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ken,
It's a journey for sure. Not every day is a good one, whether we're sober or not. For me a bad day and not being sober....is a REALLY bad day. Thinking of you.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Brings to mind that old joke "I'd stop drinking but I'm no quitter"

While we're quitting drinking we're quitting so much more than that. Maybe that's why it's so overwhelming, because everything is so interconnected. Some days it's just exhausting to think about it all.

Escapist, I often feel the same way. This existence is so predictable sober. No rush, no wildness lol While part of me misses that, a bigger part of me loves the daily routine of no surprises or drinking related consequences to clean up. Hoping spring brings some renewed energy and fun.

Ken, I'm glad you can't quit hoping or loving. Those two things are the key to a happy life in my book
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking I quit being continually anxious, I quit trying to piece together fragmented memories of the night before, I quit checking my phone for inappropriate text messages I sent to people I would have to face, I quit that uneasy feeling that this time I might really have stepped too far to repair things, I quit days having to recover physically, I quit feeling ashamed and afraid.

Today I am strong, I face my fears head on. I am free.

Never stop loving or hoping. Things will get better Ken.

We love you xxx
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I quit drinking. I quit smoking. I am exhausted from all this self improvment. I feel like I have been zapped by a mega stun gun. I am not doing crazy stuff anymore. I just exist. Sober. I don't know if I am in a phase or what. Tomorrow makes 5 full months of sobriety. I wish I could say everything is sunshine and lolipops. Maybe I am craving a rush. Addictive thinking????? I don't know
I suspect you drank out of boredom? I know I did. Several years ago I quit everything for about 3 years. I too felt like how you did, but that was ok, I'd rather be sober and bored then drunk and bored.

A couple of months later, however, something changed. I was content with my new life. Nothing externally changed, so it had to be me. I started to drive more, which lead to a side job driving. From that I started to meet people, from that lead to a relationship, from that etc etc.

But, then I blew it, started to drink, no more driving (too drunk), lost the relationship and went back to my old drinking buds.

This is my second attempt. I'll probably bored until that time hits where something shows itself. This time, I hope to not make the same mistake!

Good luck in your quest and be proud of yourself!