Notices

oxycodone/endone addiction? Unsure, pls help

Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation oxycodone/endone addiction? Unsure, pls help

Hey I'm new to this site. I'm a 27 yr old female. I have been a full time carer for my mum for 5 years because she was very ill and needed a transplant to survive. She recently got one. Amazing.

Anyways, I've always disliked drugs, never tried any drugs except for weed and that was many years ago. I used to drink but cuz mum was so sick and we were waiting for the call for the transplant I was on call with mum and couldn't risk being drunk...

Sorry ill get to the point. For about 3months now I've been on Oxycodone which is instant release for breakthrough pain due to my back. I've got a broad disc bludge L5-S1 joint ahritis. So I'm in a lot of pain when I sit for a while (especially going to lectures) when I goto bed it takes hours to get comfertable...and I can't do more than 20mins of housework without being in pain it's horrible

So I started out on 1, 5mg pill, now Im probably up to 6 a day... I'm in pain without them and atleast I can get things done when I have them...

Bad thing is I can't imagin a day without them I'm scared that I'll have bad withdrawals I have a great happy life, I love my animals, my home, I love decorating my house, going to markets and being with my partner. I'm happy in life now mum is well.

I'm just scared of these pills. They are amazing at helping my pain and until I have the MRI I have to be on them otherwise it's too hard to get up to goto my course in the morning cuz my sleep is so terrible if I don't have these pain tablets.

I'm well aware of addiction. When I am ready to stop them how do I cut down? What sort of withdrawals will I have???

I was in Valium over a year ago and I was addicted to that and I took it for anxiety cuz the hell I was going through looking after mum thinking she was going to die... I came off the Valium myself and only had disturbed sleep other than that I was fine and I was on about 60mg a day....

Anyways can someone please let me know what they think of my oxycodone taking ????

Time for a green tea guys!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My post has had many views but no reply as yet. Please write back to me someone..... It's been 2 days and I've gone through a packet of 20 endone/oxycodone it scares me........

I need advice
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just don't know how badly addicted I am and what to expect when u start taking less and less because I don't want to take these for ever they were temp until we goto the root of my pain and found something that would manage it . I'm scarred guys, maybe I'm over reacting and thinking I'm addicted? I don't know, I think it's because I'm do aware of how addictive they can be. Am I physically or mentally addicted? Or both...

Just need some advice and I thought this was a good place to start and by reading the posts on here seems there's some really smart genuine caring people on this site, which is what I need.

Thanks everyone peace love happiness to u all
Old 03-13-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please ? Anybody

Isn't this site meant to be helpful and for support???!!!

Hello am i invisible??? Does my story not matter??!!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hi, tea, welcome to SR. Sometimes people are slow to respond or don't know what to say, don't take it personally.

I am a fullblown oxy addict so I understand your concerns. It's great that you are questioning it NOW rather than wait til it becomes a huge problem.

Like you I started for pain issues, and opiates were the miracle I'd been waiting for. All of a sudden I could think straight, could start doing more than before and so on. And no one warned me that for sure I would become physically dependent on them. (Though even if they did I wouldn't have cared because I didn't want to give up my miracle pills.) Over time I developed tolerance and needed more. Also, over time I realized they made my emotional and mental pain go away and that right there had me hooked, though I didn't realize it at the time.

Over time my addiction soared, I had a bad year with losses, deaths, excruciating pain and I began snorting then injecting my meds. After two years of this I finally realized how lost I was and reached out for help. So, again, it's really good that you are looking at all of this now rather than wait til it becomes a huge problem.

Can you talk with your doctor about alternative methods of controlling your pain? There are other medicines that might help you be able to control your pain without having to resort to opiates. If you say you have addiction issues and that is a big concern for you that would help your doctor see that you are serious about this. Your doctor could also help guide you through safely withdrawing from the meds, too.

You might also want to post in the Substance Abuse forum here, too. You'll probably get more responses since that forum is particularly about drugs other than alcohol. Hang in there!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Ilovetea

This is a big site- please don't take it personally if it takes a while to get a response - especially if you post at a downtime - Australia nighttime is very early morning elsewhere.

I don't know anything much about the drugs you're talking about, but I think most of what you're asking you'd be best to speak with your Dr about?

We also have a substance abuse forum here you may be interested in:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There is a lot of support here - I hope you'll give us a chance
D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-13-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ilovetea. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have stayed away from pills and do not understand them well enough to really relate to what you're going through. With that said, I have some very very close people in my life that have been heavily addicted to oxycodone and it seems like their withdrawals were incredibly difficult. I will certainly say a prayer and hope others with more experience will be able to chime in and give you some good advice. Hoping your Dr. can recommend something else for the pain as I know it is very real and hard to live with. Best wishes.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that talking to your dr is the best way to go.

There may be alternatives available such as acupuncture or chiropractic or even mild exercise.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm sorry for the pain you are dealing with. I once ruptured a disc in my back and I NEVER want to go through that again!

I've abused different things, over the years, including opiates. Though it began as treatment for legit pain, it soon turned in to doing them to deal with emotional pain. I got off them, but just found something else to numb my brain until I found recovery.

I do suggest you check out the substance abuse forum as there are many people there who abuse opiates. I also found that I got a lot from other posts, even if our DOC (drug of choice) was different. Most of us began something to just take the edge off, soon found out we had trouble living life without it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I'll goto that section of the forum happy days x be well