Notices

Ok....

Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Homeboy?? Just meant ti say 'heading home'!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
Homeboy?? Just meant ti say 'heading home'!!!
I just thought you were from Cork! ;-)

Well done on not drinking at your meeting.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ha ha Coffee and thank you. Have a nice night x
Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Falling - [COLOR="Blue"]I am one of those who drinks to avoid having to think too deeply about things and to make them go away (false reality!).
Welcome, Snaggle!

Just offering my "newbie" experience of 11 days here.

As I posted on a previous thread here, it has been a pleasant surprise to have my mind wake up and start really thinking again - not just "this day sucks" thoughts or "why me" or "what am I going to fix for supper" or "now, what did I need to do today? What was that again?" Or, "I better get up and hide the evidence."

I'm getting my real self back, like wiping a foggy mirror and seeing your face clearly. And because I'm not headache-y from the wine the night before or tired from not sleeping well, I'm in a mellower, more upbeat mood and thinking about "things" is not so stressful. Actually, it's easier to deal with life, which is surprising, because my wine was my pacifier/security blanket at the end of the day that I thought I needed to cope. However, coping is not living, and when you are sober, you'll feel like you're actually living, not just reacting to whatever falls into your day.

I hope this finds you well. You can do this!! Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Branches View Post
when you are sober, you'll feel like you're actually living, not just reacting to whatever falls into your day.
This is what I really want! And I totally agree with everything you said. It's such hard work trying to hide how much you are drinking, trying the next day to find out if I had done anything stupid, being told what I had done. Most of the time now I wonder why I bother to go out and drink cos I never remember the next day - it's like I wasn't there except in body only

Anyway, the more I read here, the more I learn so I really appreciate your words Branches. Congratulations on 11 days

And roll on clear thinking!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Snaggle. I'm so glad you joined us and are ready to start your new life. I drank all day when I came limping in here. I never dreamed a forum could mean so much to me. The people here have given me the courage to change my life. Just knowing we have each other has meant everything to me. The 'normies' in our world can't possibly understand what we go through.

Congratulations on this big decision you've made. You'll be free.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Hevyn. I had been lurking here for quite a while, knowing that I needed to commit. Now that I have taken the step of talking here and getting so many fantastic welcomes and advice, I wish I had done it sooner thanks for your words and you hit the nail on the head - freedom - that's what its all about ))) take care x
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok. I am done. I give in. I can't do this anymore.
Your sobriety is so much more important than any commitee you are on at the bar.
ok , ok, I had to change people, places and things having to do with my drinking. I think you just may be setting yourself up for failure remaining on any commitee at a bar.Somtimes we have to learn these things for ourselves however. But why put yourself in that atmosphere when you will just be miserable trying not to drink?

If you are around sober people, like at a meeting, chances are u won't drink and if you are around people drinking, chances are u will probably drink. You can just say NO! Just choose not to go. You will be happy you did the next morning. Sometimes it really is just that simple.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know what u mean deeker. Now I'm not making excuses but it's not just a bar. Its a charity too and we raise a lot of money by organising fundraisers fir ex servicemen who have been injured in Afghanistan. I am also actually employed by them part time - in addition to a full time job. So I have a certain obligation I guess as it is paid work. My husband and brother in law also work for them. So it's all a huge part if our lives. I managed ok last night and feel really pleased this minding.

One thing I want to say about quitting drink. I think I had to get to the stage where drinking scared me because I didn't know what would happen- would I pass out, make a fool of myself,injure myself like last week (doctor today) or die! I felt like I was on a roller coaster and couldn't get off. It was always tomorrow I will stop. Now that I have made the commitment to stop, I feel a huge relief, like an enormous weight has been lifted. I know it's only day 2 for me but long may this feeling last

If you have read Jason Vale - kick the habit ( I think that's it) -well that's how I feel

Thanks deeker I will take on board what you have said. Hope you are well. Take care x
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

GO AWAY AV!!!! Grrr. . I only went to get shopping in Tesco. But I think everyone was loading up in off licence...... deep breaths...it will pass

I can do this..I can do this...I WILL do this!!!!!!!!!,,!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just remember that they were loading up with dehydration, headaches, sickness and despair. They just weren't ready to see that and you already know it
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by snaggle View Post
go away av!!!! Grrr. . I only went to get shopping in tesco. But i think everyone was loading up in off licence...... Deep breaths...it will pass

i can do this..i can do this...i will do this!!!!!!!!!,,!

i am doing this!!!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

True thanks. actually when I think about it I don't want it and there was probably only few people in the off licence. I was just jealous

Thanks misspond foe the reminder xx
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
AA member

Well done on resisting buying booze snaggle.It gets better the longer you are sober.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you heath. I could feel the itch. Thursday was a drink night (as was almost every night)

Thanks all for your support xx
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You'll find the longer you are sober, the better you will feel. I've been sober for over three years and don't miss drinking one bit, never felt better in my life.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sounds good and encouraging least. Thanks.

I am with you on the dog lover front too x
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Just back from another committee meeting in the club. Again just stuck with diet coke. Was surprised that half the members didn't have a drink either - they just came down for the meeting. Never noticed before. 2 other members - ones I would call heavy drinkers- even by my standards- were only drinking lemonade tonight 2nd shock of the night! We joked we should start our own 'meeting'. Nit sure if we were really joking or sounding each other out. So that's day 2 complete with a couple of surprises along the way. Nite to everyone. Take care xx
Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I know what u mean deeker. Now I'm not making excuses but it's not just a bar. Its a charity too and we raise a lot of money by organising fundraisers fir ex servicemen who have been injured in Afghanistan. I am also actually employed by them part time - in addition to a full time job. So I have a certain obligation I guess as it is paid work. My husband and brother in law also work for them. So it's all a huge part if our lives. I managed ok last night and feel really pleased this minding.

Thanks deeker I will take on board what you have said. Hope you are well. Take care x
Haha I thought maybe you were captain of the dart team or something! My apologies! What a great thing you are doing. It will help if you have someone who is with you at these commitee meetings who knows you are trying to stay sober.
It may help you stay accountable. Maybe an additional person besides ur hubby. My hubby didn't really hold me accountable when I got weak and drank.

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Deeker. Next weekend we have a huge fundraiser for a young local lad who lost both legs in Afghanistan so we are doing a lot of work for that. We had a meeting last night and I stuck to the coke again. I woke up this morning feeling good - although the dreams are just plain weird!!! Usually on a Friday morning I would be dying a death and dragging myself through the work day. But feel pretty good. The husband is keeping a close eye on me - think even he is surprised that I haven't given in - I know he would be disappointed and cross and frustrated with me - he's a normie and is not going to drink this weekend either, just because he doesn't feel like it and becuase I am off it - oh to be like that - so here starts day 3 3 days will the longest I have been sober for a long long time ......St Paddy's day here in Ireland this weekend - big excuse for a 72 hour **** up. Not for me - I am going to be 'good' lol Talk soon Deeker - have a great weekend

Trachemys - I am doing this - can't wait to be confident enough to say this too!!