Notices

Mistake

Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mistake

I am from a family of alcoholics. I have tried my best to control myself. I have done well. Staying on the right path. I am married, have two beautiful children, attending college and was able to buy a house. I made a mistake the other night. I went out to celebrate a birthday and drove home. I was arrested. I have never been arrested in my life. I have nothing on my driving record at all. It's clean. I feel so ashamed that I have let so many people down, including myself. My career plans are probably down the toilet at this point. I know it's silly, but I have not had a drink in 5 days. I am too afraid. I do not want to get in trouble. I feel guilty about everything. I feel guilty about laughing or having a good time. I am trying so hard to put up a front for everyone until it's in the newspaper. I feel like I have worked for nothing now. All I am doing now is taking it day by day. Still going to both my jobs (until they find out) and attending my classes. Any advice?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Erin - welcome
I never had a DUI but only because I never drove anyway.

As mortifying as it must be, I think most people will tell you - with hindsight - it's not the end of the world.

I hope of course that this won't have an impact on your career, but if it gets you to look at your relationship with alcohol a little more closely, it might even ultimately be a good thing?

D
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate Erin. I was also arrested for DUI coming home from a pub. The shame and embarrassment still weighs heavily on me but Im now thankful I didn't hurt anyone and addressed my drinking problem. Soldier on, this will pass.

PS - Why are you worried about being in the newspaper?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my town post all police logs in the stinkin' paper. names and addresses and what they were arrested for
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Erin,

There is nothing you can change now except yourself. Will it be embarrassing? Sure it will but it can't be changed now. Take the pain and use it as extra motivation to move forward. I have done way worse than a DUI and life went on. If you take this as an opportunity to better your life you might even look back on it as a good thing even though it doesn't look that way now. Keep your head up and post here all you need. We got your back.

T
Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a common mistake that people make Erin. But I really believe that if you get in a car after drinking then drinking is a problem for you. I know many people that have done this and laugh it off so the fact you feel bad shows that you are a decent person. It was a mistake, move on and learn from it x
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The decision to drink and drive is always made drunk.

Erin, down here, they put your picture in the paper as well.

It's going to be expensive, time-consuming, and embarrassing. Sorry to tell you that but it's true. If it motivates you to better behavior, it will be worth it.

Welcome, good luck, we're here when you need some support.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by ErinSullie View Post
I made a mistake the other night.
First time?
I feel so ashamed that I have let so many people down, including myself. My career plans are probably down the toilet at this point....I am trying so hard to put up a front for everyone until it's in the newspaper. I feel like I have worked for nothing now.
Were you unaware this was one of the possible outcomes from drinking and driving?
I know it's silly, but I have not had a drink in 5 days. I am too afraid. I do not want to get in trouble.
Why is this silly? You've been known to be a danger to the public when you drink. So was I, and I don't think it's at all silly that I stopped.
Any advice?
Be grateful you're not being charged with vehicular homicide. A friend of mine was just released from prison last month after 5 years for her 'mistake'. Heed the wake up call.