Notices

Boyfriend in Rehab

Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boyfriend in Rehab

I have known my boyfriend for a year, but have only been dating for 4 months. We were great friends before we started dating and were having a great 2 months, but problems started. I found out about his addiction to pain medicine and slowly over the next 2 months it became worse. He checked into rehab a week ago. He told me before he left for the 30 days he would call me. He has been distant and will not call me. I called the facility and left a message for him to call me and he didn't. I wanted to know any advise to what I can do to help support him. His mom and I were going to go visit him this weekend, but the one time I did talk to him he said he doesn't want anyone to visit him. I need advise as to what I should do. Should I visit? Should I just leave him alone for the month? I am worried about our relationship because I really want to be with him. On the other hand, I know he needs to focus on him at the moment. Any suggestions/advise??

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

He has asked you to leave him alone, so I suggest you respect that. And you are right, he needs to focus on his recovery right now.

I suggest that you head over to our Friends and Family forum so you can focus on what will do you the most good--your own recovery. You may not think there is anything to "recover" from, but trust me. Relationships with addicts will make anyone a bit loopy.