Notices

Is it a good idea to look for a job........

Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it a good idea to look for a job........

If your just starting with recovery or wait? The reason I am asking because we go through the period where the anxiety then being tired. Is this a excuse? I am not sure to post my resume and get a job then feel like crap because I just started again. Inputs on what you all think?

clight
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

personally, i think it's always best to not work if you're trying to focus on improving your life. work can time time away from reflecting and thinking about what you want to change. on the other hand, a new job can be a distraction also. i suppose the main thing is how badly you need to find a job as opposed to remaining unemployed for a bit. either way, best of luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'll be posting mine soon. Need a new job.

I always found that the mental exercise of adjusting to a new job moderated my drinking. It took my mind off of it. Plus, I was on my best behavior. I'm thinking it might be really good for me to do that right now.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I have been off work for awhile. I'm lucky I was on stress leave and got paid so it was easier for me. I have been sober almost 8 months now and I'm trying to find a part time job.

I am living with my daughter and son-in-law so my bills aren't high. I still have money left from my RRSP so that helps. I just want a job where I can be with people and I just want to be happy. I'm not looking for a high stressed job again. Life is too short for that and I just don't need the crap anymore.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From my own experience I would say start looking for a job now. In this economy its pretty unlikely you will find a job right away (depending on your field). I have been unemployed for quite some time and hold an advanced professional degree.

I also thought at first waiting would be best, but as weeks and months went by it led to boredom and drinking again. For me I need the distraction.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved to a city where English was the second language as I began recovery, so couldn't work. I did however, start volunteer work right away, and I think it saved my life. I was in a bit of a fog at the time, so I thank the universe for leading me to that opportunity.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started my new job 2 months in.
I would have preferred another month but was getting nervous.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you don't need the money, there's no harm in waiting. Perhaps talk to your doctor and get a medical opinion regarding energy levels, anxiety, etc.

I took some time off when I got sober. It helped ... I wouldn't have been able to hold a job at all.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Work is always the best thing for me because it gives me something to do and keeps me busy and out of the bars.
Sitting at home feeling depressed gets me in trouble and does me absolutely no good.
I am at my best when I am working 2 jobs and attending school to better myself.
Be a maker, not a taker!
Get busy my friend!.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABIDEBYLAW View Post
Work is always the best thing for me because it gives me something to do and keeps me busy and out of the bars.
Sitting at home feeling depressed gets me in trouble and does me absolutely no good.
I am at my best when I am working 2 jobs and attending school to better myself.
Be a maker, not a taker!
Get busy my friend!.
X2 for me a big trigger is letting my mind run so if I occupy it with work or learning I am way more likely to stay out of trouble.