SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thank you (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/287264-thank-you.html)

iwantthis 03-12-2013 02:27 PM

Thank you

Hi all

I've been surfing this site for a few months now but never joined until yesterday. It helped me stay sober for 29 days in January, something I haven't done in many years!! I started exercising, sleeping great, my moods improved drastically, etc...and that was in just one month!! Then I convinced myself one beer would be ok. Stupid me. Now it's a month and a half later and I'm starting over again. Today is day 2.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you all have been to me. Reading your posts and replies has give me hope that I haven't had in a very long time. :) Thank you!!

coffeetogo 03-12-2013 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by iwantthis (Post 3858937)
Hi all

I've been surfing this site for a few months now but never joined until yesterday. It helped me stay sober for 29 days in January, something I haven't done in many years!! I started exercising, sleeping great, my moods improved drastically, etc...and that was in just one month!! Then I convinced myself one beer would be ok. Stupid me. Now it's a month and a half later and I'm starting over again. Today is day 2.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you all have been to me. Reading your posts and replies has give me hope that I haven't had in a very long time. :) Thank you!!

All the best to you, I'm on day 3.

trachemys 03-12-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by iwantthis
Then I convinced myself one beer would be ok. Stupid me.

Did that about two weeks ago. Restarted last week with better tools. Hang in there and you and I won't be stupid again, ok?

T4texas 03-12-2013 02:50 PM

Made it five years and then convinced myself that one or two would be it. Now a year later starting from scratch in sobriety and life I feel empowered like never before. Is good to see you here and hope to see your continuing posts. Keep your head up.

hypochondriac 03-12-2013 03:04 PM

Welcome to SR :) x

iwantthis 03-12-2013 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I know where I screwed up. First, the social isolation of not drinking got to me and I wanted to be around people. I went to a bar to meet some friends (who all drink heavily) and I lasted 10 minutes. It's time to make some new (sober) friends, lol. Not sure how yet but I'm working on it. Second, I surfed this site before but didn't get involved. I need a community of people who can relate. I'm glad I joined. It's like a 24/7 AA meeting without all of the AA stuff that always made me run away. I know AA works for lots of people, just not me.

least 03-12-2013 03:33 PM

:welcome I couldn't be around alcohol in early recovery either. Too tempting to me at that stage.

Read and post as you like. There's lots to like about SR.:)

Willowgrace326 03-12-2013 04:23 PM

Hang in there! You are not alone. I surfed this website for 2 years before joining. I would get really focused on getting sober & come here everyday. Then my focus would get less and less & I would stop coming here. Soon after that came a relapse. I just recently joined as well & am so thankful to everyone here too. Unfortunately, as alcoholics a craving can hit at anytime & this is a 24 hour support system. Today is Day 3 for me and I know that we can both do this!