Notices

did you toss out the liquor?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

did you toss out the liquor?

Nope, but that is just ME, we are all different. I recommend each individual do what is comfortable to them, in maintaining their sobriety.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I was throwing booze out regularly only to buy again the next day. This lasted for a while, but the last time I threw away it stuck. I don't have alcohol in the house anymore.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Whatever I had I drank. I sure wouldn't leave any around after I quit. That's me though - you might be different.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
I was throwing booze out regularly only to buy again the next day. This lasted for a while, but the last time I threw away it stuck. I don't have alcohol in the house anymore.
Over the past six months, I've probably thrown more alcohol away than I consumed. My routine had been:
Buy 750 ml bottle;
Drink way too much, feel ashamed;
pour the rest away before I pass out in bed or when I wake up with a hangover;
Feel ok by 5:00 the next day and buy a new bottle on the way home;
Repeat

Not a healthy routine for the mind, body, or wallet

Of course I should have bought nips, half-pints, or pints, but that wouldn't have made sense because at 5:00 I was always thinking I would drink just one or two and stay in control
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Poured the remaining quarter of a bottle of wine down the sink and haven't bought any more. My hubby doesn't drink anymore and was a driving force behind my stopping, and my daughter doesn't drink on a regular basis and at the most brings in hard cider when a couple of her friends come over. That's rare.

If I had half a bottle of vodka left in the house, I'd be thinking of ways to drink it and replace the levels with water so no one would know I got into it. Vodka was my sneaky drink. When my husband would get on my case about my wine, I would stop off an get a small bottle of vodka and hide it and then add it to whatever soft drink I had around. Look, Ma! No wine! That should have told me I had a problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Everything except the Chambord. Even raging drunk and thirsty for more I can't drink that syrup. Zero temptation there. None. Everything else had to go.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
New and learning

I've wondered about this too. On my last drunk.....and after a horrible fight with my husband, I said some horrible things and came out to pour another drink. He was furious and begged me not to drink, while taking our drinks of choice to the trash can. I finally asked on day 4 if he really threw it away, or hid it in the garage like when he "threw out my sons messy room trash". He really did. It was taken always. day 2. Whew!

But........we still have the "special occasion" wine ($$$) and other stuff I bought for recipes or smallish drinks. I have not been tempted yet, but I refuse to buy the stuff we drank regularly (tequila, whiskey, vodka). My dad drinks whiskey every night, but have not had him over since I quit 2/24. I need to tell him so he isnt caught off guard and can prepare appropriately.

I hope I can serve it to others sometime, but nowhere near ready to even think about that. My husband has been so supportive and quit with me. Well, except the night I went to the hotel with my daughter and her friends for her bday celebration. I found his empty beer bottle still on the counter.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I poured out my whole liquor cabinet on day 1/2. Got a bottle of pricey vodka for Christmas as a gift weeks later. It sat in the freezer for 2 months.. Got opened at a gathering we had at home a few weeks ago. Its half empty sitting in the liquor cabinet now lol.

It can sit there now that Im a little further on in recovery. If it starts to bother me it will go down the drain with no remorse or hesitation.

Im sure my friends will come by and finish it soon enough.

I still have some wine laying around too. Thats my wife's business now.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

yes i poured three beers into the dirt after my recent stupidity. also eliminated all dope dealer numbers from my phone. no turning back now.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I never had the problem with tossing it out from a cabinet or where ever in the house because I was a sneaky, alone alcoholic while I was drinking it was me, myself and I. So I thought nobody knew but of course going in the garage, a walk, etc....... I came home different than when I left. The LQ was my cabinet.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Through my first sober period I almost always had a few beers in my fridge that friends would leave. I was never tempted to touch them and they would be quickly drank by the next drinker that came over. This time I think I will keep booze out of the house for awhile just to be sure.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I didn't have anything to pour out as I always drank whatever I had! The one thing I could never do while drinking was throw my booze down the drain.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

My first couple of times quitting I didn't toss out the liquor. This last time I did and now I have a year.

Which came first...the chicken or the egg?

I don't know, but I know I have no liquor in the house and I've maintained sobriety, same with drugs.

I should mention that I live alone so I don't have the aspect of having other people who drink in the house to contend with.