Notices

Help

Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Drinking too much and unable to help myself ...still wondering why I fell upon this site, maybe I'm looking for A WAY TO STOP WHO KNOWS? drinking 1 bottle of vodka a day plus 1 bottle of red wine and anything else I can afford to buy!.... hiding the bottles, and putting them in the trash when my family go out. Have been like this for about four years now. My history.....Had a nervous breakdown 14 years ago after beating cancer in 1995... don't situations like these change you for the better? or give you the second chance you have been always waiting for? cant go on like this, ashamed of telling my family, seriously need help to get out of this situation that I deny i'm in.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome!

Alcoholism hits good people, and yes, cancer survivors, just as it does anyone else. Nobody sets out to become an alcoholic. For unknown reasons, though, a certain number of drinkers do just that. It isn't a deliberate choice--or if it ever was, that choice is gone by the time we realize what's happened.

It sounds as if you are drinking quite a lot right now, so withdrawal can be risky. You might do best to come clean with your family and get yourself into a medically supervised detox. Detoxing only takes a few days. Then I suggest you get to some AA meetings. I have found it to be a great way to live sober, happily.

This isn't the end of the world. You were very fortunate to beat the cancer. Alcoholism is very, very treatable. It requires effort and commitment on your part, but the "treatment" can enhance your life in ways you never would have believed possible.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree that none of us chose to have drink problems and we also did not end up drinking as much as we did/do overnight. It was a progressive thing that crept up on us.

You sound like you have battled lots - a nervous breakdown, cancer and I am sure you can fight this too.

There is a wealth of information and support here, at AA and your doctor.
Read as much as you can an post as much as you want.

You don't have to feel that shame anymore.
Life is so much better without alcohol.
You deserve a better life, especially after all you have been through.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Grayrob I am sure you will find SR a supportive and helpful place. There is lots of information here about ways to quit drinking and plenty of people who know exactly what you're going through. Glad you're here x
Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you reached out, Grayrob. You found a wonderful and encouraging place. You can change your life and be free of all the misery you're feeling.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Grayrob

like others have said alcoholism affects good people too...sometimes, for whatever reason, situations (or the fear of them) crush us rather than spur us onto growth too.

I've found sobriety (or what I call recovery) has been the greatest growth experience of my life...I've been able not only to stop drinking but to face the things I started drinking for, and become again the person I wanted to be, the real me.

You can do it too - you're not alone here - there's a ton of support

D
Old 03-10-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's not that you're UNABLE to help yourself Grayrob, it's just that you haven't YET. The act of not drinking is easy. You just stop putting it in your face. Living with that compulsion - well, now, that can be tough!

There are ways to deal with that, though. Many different ways. Most of them are described somewhere on this forum. Do some reading. Find your path to sobriety. It's here somewhere, waiting for you to discover it.

Best of Luck!