Notices

Day 3

Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hi

3 weeks ago I did something really stupid in work as a result of being drunk and will probably end up losing my job.

I have drunk to oblivion pretty much since I first drank when I was about 15 but have always convined myself that it is not a problem as I don't get the shakes.

I used to drink in school (vodka in a coke bottle) and have recently started taking wine or vodka to work in water bottles and drinking through the day but never getting drunk until after work. I have woken up some mornings (not all) and felt so anxious about the day that I have had a few glasses of wine.

Many times I have gone to work and my manager has been able to smell drink and I have always laughed this off as having been out somewhere the night before with my wife, the reality being that I had drunk at home on my own after she had gone to bed - sneaking out to buy more if I ran out before passing out.

Today will be the 3rd day of sobriety if I do not drink today and I have not had any shakes but cannot stop thinking about wanting a drink and my palms are really clammy and sweaty. I have been awake for 2 hours and all I can think about is that I have enough money in my wallett for a litre of wine...I know that if I buy it and drink it that I will want more though and not being able to get more is worse!

I said to my wife last night that I feel as though I am going mad....ARRRRGGH!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Timmy. 3rd day of sobriety,eh? Well done, you are a day ahead of me.

You need to do something nice for you today so that you aren't focussed on going out to buy booze, you've come here which is good, come and meet some more newbies here in the March Class thread, you'll be welcomed.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Timmy, lots of friends here in a very similar situation mate. As Marcher says pop along to march class. Glad you're here.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe use the money for something healthy to drink/eat...your body will appreciate it.
Welcome and hang in there....things will get better....not quite as fast as you would like, but they will.
Maybe consider visiting a local meeting, you'll find folks there that understand.
All the best.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timmy85 View Post
Hi

3 weeks ago I did something really stupid in work as a result of being drunk and will probably end up losing my job.

I have drunk to oblivion pretty much since I first drank when I was about 15 but have always convined myself that it is not a problem as I don't get the shakes.

I used to drink in school (vodka in a coke bottle) and have recently started taking wine or vodka to work in water bottles and drinking through the day but never getting drunk until after work. I have woken up some mornings (not all) and felt so anxious about the day that I have had a few glasses of wine.

Many times I have gone to work and my manager has been able to smell drink and I have always laughed this off as having been out somewhere the night before with my wife, the reality being that I had drunk at home on my own after she had gone to bed - sneaking out to buy more if I ran out before passing out.

Today will be the 3rd day of sobriety if I do not drink today and I have not had any shakes but cannot stop thinking about wanting a drink and my palms are really clammy and sweaty. I have been awake for 2 hours and all I can think about is that I have enough money in my wallett for a litre of wine...I know that if I buy it and drink it that I will want more though and not being able to get more is worse!

I said to my wife last night that I feel as though I am going mad....ARRRRGGH!
I felt like that... and kept feeling like that until I joined Alcoholic Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Timmy! Great to meet you.

I drank the same way. You're doing the right thing by coming here - because it won't get better. I had a little control when I was younger, but ended up drinking 'round the clock. I drank before work, too - then during work - so it was in my system when I drove. It had complete control of me. I had to stop pretending I could use willpower to just have a few - I had to stop all together. It sounds like that's where you are, Timmy. You can do it! Please keep talking to us.