Notices

Have just quit...advice welcome

Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have just quit...advice welcome

I've just quit drinking two days ago. I've been living in a place that I hate for over 4 years now. I ended up here after a bad breakup, and have worked in a few places - i'm a Web Developer/Programmer & i'm quite good at it. However, I hate living here and I don't know anyone or have any social life. My dad lives in this town, and he had colorectal cancer, and has been in and out of hospital getting treatment. He is okay now, and recovering. I'm the only child, and I took this very hard and really started to drink every night at the start of his hosplisation. Over the last two years, i've been steadily drinking alone pretty much every night. A bottle of strong wine - 17%!
I started taking steps to resolve my situation and in January, I quit work, started selling everything I own and decided to move abroad this year. My fulltime job has became eBAY these last few months and i've made around $15,000 to take with me! However, i've still been drinking every night and I realised I can't go on like this, and I have no intentions to drink once i'm away in mid April. I decided on Tuesday night, that would be my last drink. Wednesday, I was a bit hungover, but slept fine. Yesterday, I was so tired and suffered a crippling headache most of the day and evening. Last night, I fell asleep about 1am, but woke up at 6am and couldn't sleep. Today, I have the headache again, but it's not so crippling as yesterday. I've been drinking lots of fruit juice and i'm about to go and pick up Thiamin/B12. I am determined not to drink any longer this month, as I need to be free of this before I move abroad. Can I do this? I'm frightened I have worse headaches or further withdrawal symptoms, while i'm busy trying to post/sell further items/tie up all my loose ends over here as I think my body was so used to the alcohol from the night before, that I was functioning okay'ish when dealing with stuff. I am so close to my goal of getting away from here, I am scared withdrawal may hold me back
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
Yes, you can quit. It may be a good idea to see a doctor and be brutaly honest about your drinking.
Think that first drink through to the end and the misery it'll bring.
You sound dedicated to quiting, but sometimes we need help. AA, other programs work for people here.

Post as often as you like here. I find it helpful. Best to you on your journey.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Take it a day at a time. Don't make your sobriety conditional
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
Hello, and welcome.
Yes, you can quit. It may be a good idea to see a doctor and be brutaly honest about your drinking.
Think that first drink through to the end and the misery it'll bring.
You sound dedicated to quiting, but sometimes we need help. AA, other programs work for people here.

Post as often as you like here. I find it helpful. Best to you on your journey.
Thanks for your advice about seeing a doctor. I was really hoping that I could do this without having to do that - worried about it going on medical records etc.

My other problem is I live alone, don't really have anyone to talk to here, and while today has been absolutely fine, it's now Friday night, and i'm really beginning to think 'oh, just have a bottle of wine, it's the weekend, it won't do you any harm'. I'm trying to put the thought out of my mind, and get on with other stuff I need to do.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Unixdude View Post
Thanks for your advice about seeing a doctor. I was really hoping that I could do this without having to do that - worried about it going on medical records etc.

My other problem is I live alone, don't really have anyone to talk to here, and while today has been absolutely fine, it's now Friday night, and i'm really beginning to think 'oh, just have a bottle of wine, it's the weekend, it won't do you any harm'. I'm trying to put the thought out of my mind, and get on with other stuff I need to do.
Regarding your first question, anything you tell your doctor is confidential. Unless you are admitted to Inpatient Detox, it will just show up as a regular visit to the doctor. Even if they don't find or prescribe anything at least it will give you the peace of mind that everything is OK.

Regarding your second, know that there are people here on the boards and in the chatroom on SR 24/7 - my first few weeks I came here when i couldn't sleep or needed encouragement any time of the day and found it very helpful.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Get to a meeting if you feel like drinking. You may even get to go to the diner afterward with everyone!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unixdude

I also recommend seeing a Dr if you feel unwell...but it's been 2 days...mostly everyone feels bad on day 2-3...we drank for years...give recovery a little time

there's a ton of support here - resist the 'one bottle of wine won't hurt' thoughts because it will...it opens the whole cycle back up again...

D
Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Unixdude. It definitely took me more than a couple of days to feel human again. Don't be discouraged because you're not feeling great - it will come. Be proud of yourself for wanting a better life. You're going to do this.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, please don't be discouraged. It's not easy to go through withdrawal, but it will be worth it, and you never have to do it again.

And, if you have nothing to do tonight, you can always check in here and do some reading and posting.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Unixdude it will get better, and quicker than you think. Once the physical symptoms are over you will need to deal with strong cravings for wine (I see it's started), so be prepared and have your strategy ready to deal with them. Certainly having a time limit will help but the reality is probably that you will never drink again.
I had a similar intake to yours, live alone and LOVE travelling. I coped with cravings by;
-substituting juice, soda water, sweet foods
-walking a lot listening to podcasts and music,
-when hit by a wave of craving I took 5 slow deep mindful breaths
-avoiding normal routine, especially at the danger times (evening)
I'd also second those who urge you to go to a meeting to strengthen your resolve and reduce social isolation.

The rewards are wonderful, especially waking up in the morning clear headed and free of self reproach.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Unixdude it will get better, and quicker than you think. Once the physical symptoms are over you will need to deal with strong cravings for wine (I see it's started), so be prepared and have your strategy ready to deal with them. Certainly having a time limit will help but the reality is probably that you will never drink again.
I had a similar intake to yours, live alone and LOVE travelling.
Thank you so much, and everyone else that has commented. I was finding it really hard tonight, kept watching the time, and thinking 'I could just go buy a bottle of wine before the store closes'. However, I went for a shower 15 mins before closing time instead, thinking that by the time I had finished, the store would be closed. Now, I feel a bit 'empty', and instead of doing constructive things, i've been sitting about worried for the past cpl of hours, and I feel a bit out of kilter...first Friday night without a bottle of wine in a cpl of years...strange feeling, and i'm wide awake, but unable to lift my mood into doing anything like ebaying/packing stuff. I feel very retrospective, and thinking about how i've wasted the past few years...make sense?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh yes. I was like a fish out of water for a while. After all, we've used it to cope with life for a long time. The thing is, it never really helped us cope - all it did was harm us and keep us from making good decisions and living life the way we were meant to. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to get that.

You're doing great, Unix. Just by coming here and sharing your feelings - you are beginning to heal. Congratulations for rising above the desire to go buy something. You did great - and it will get easier.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Sorry your dad is fighting this, But Im sure he wants to see you sober.
Think of the additional $ you could have to travel if not spent on wine.
(I know easier said than done!) I sold a lot of stuff just to support my drinking!
Stay Strong & sober!
One day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Unix, enjoy the feeling of waking up after staying strong. It's a great achievement.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey you don't have to say , but wondering where you are going travelling too ? Is it a roaming trip or to go live in one place ? I found when I was travelling, I drank heaps less. I was tired, Truley, proper tired every night so that helped. Plus, I was so blown away from my daily experiences that I was getting the " buzz " I needed from that. I personally think changing places , experiencing new places and people and things is an amazing Tonic. It takes you outside yourself so your not thinking about yourself and self medicating. I wish you well on your travels. Kia kaha
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks again people, it was really strange last night, not to be sitting nursing a bottle of wine on a Friday evening. I really felt as if something was missing, but I managed to get asleep. Woke up again at 6am feeling really awake, but managed to get a few more hours sleep. Today, I feel quite productive, so going to start listing more stuff on Ebay.
Originally Posted by Seiceps View Post
Hey you don't have to say , but wondering where you are going travelling too ? Is it a roaming trip or to go live in one place ? I found when I was travelling, I drank heaps less. I was tired, Truley, proper tired every night so that helped. Plus, I was so blown away from my daily experiences that I was getting the " buzz " I needed from that. I personally think changing places , experiencing new places and people and things is an amazing Tonic. It takes you outside yourself so your not thinking about yourself and self medicating. I wish you well on your travels. Kia kaha
I'm moving over to Europe, I have my Visa etc all sorted out I don't know anyone there, but i'm throwing my faith into a bit of travel and trying something different, and hopefully I will get that 'buzz' from new experiences and people
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool. The other good thing Europe has to offer is a different way of drinking. Obviously depending where you are. Yorkshire is different to Austria. !
But in my experience, while all Europeans drink, some places they do it more dignified than others. And that buzz of travelling, connecting with others, is such a buzz that you need the other way less. Sounds great and exciting and real. There is an amazing big wide world out there for tge taking. Enjoy !
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm moving over to Europe, I have my Visa etc all sorted out I don't know anyone there, but i'm throwing my faith into a bit of travel and trying something different, and hopefully I will get that 'buzz' from new experiences and people [/QUOTE]

Have they got an emoticon for really really jealous? Nope. But I am. Keep on with your good work on sobriety; you know you can push through the cravings now. I found Friday night hard as well, and it made me realise drinking was part of my way of releasing stress.