Notices

Day 13...new to site

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day 13...new to site

Hi Everyone.

Since I've been reading the posts hear and have found them immensely helpful, thought I would introduce myself.

I'm on day 13 of no alcohol and feeling pretty good - so far I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms. Just the occasional AV that whispers in my ear that I choose to ignore.

This isn't my first attempt at sobriety. I was sober for a year and a half after I decided to quit after almost losing my mom to liver disease. I knew I had a binge drinking problem but was scared to admit it. After nearly losing my mom I learned just how strong the alcoholism gene is in my family. I probably never had a chance at being a "normal" drinker given my family's history.

The year and a half I was sober, I didn't use AA or any other alcohol recovery program. It was pure willpower and determination to not become my mother.

But I, like many of you it seems, got too comfortable with my "control." I thought if I could quit just like that then maybe it wasn't a problem. It started with just having a glass of wine here and there, to now 2 years later being back in the same place I was before. I have had to admit to myself that I do not have control. The only thing I can control is whether I choose to drink or not. If I choose booze, then alcohol has control and I no longer do.

So here I am at day 13. I haven't made it to an AA meeting yet but am considering it. I've had a lot animosity towards it because it didn't help my mom. But I also know that you have to want to recover for it to work - I'm not sure my mom ever wanted to quit.

I have a therapist I see weekly and an amazing friend support base. I know I can do this - I did it before. And my life was better sober. Reminding myself of that and the goals I want to achieve in life help.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to continue to read and post here as I work towards a much more rewarding, sober life.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome SoberKat!

I did the same "test" twice......(thinking maybe after a period of sobriety things would be different). It didn't work for me either, of course. I think I finally got it right this time.

It's good to have you with us!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome soberkat

D
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberKat9 View Post
Hi Everyone.

But I, like many of you it seems, got too comfortable with my "control." I thought if I could quit just like that then maybe it wasn't a problem. It started with just having a glass of wine here and there, to now 2 years later being back in the same place I was before. I have had to admit to myself that I do not have control. The only thing I can control is whether I choose to drink or not. If I choose booze, then alcohol has control and I no longer do.

I like that.. Hundreds of years of history proves that. We are with you and and we are sure that , it will work for you this time.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome soberkat9, glad you're here!