Notices

40 Days Sober: Looking Better?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

40 Days Sober: Looking Better?

Hi,

This is my first post. I'm 40 days without any alcohol and feeling really great and confident about cutting it out for good. I'm 45 years old, and was drinking about a bottle of wine every evening for the past six years. I used to be really fit and young looking for my age, but that really changed about 3 years ago. My physical appearance started to show the ugly signs of alcohol, the puffy face and red eyes, dry hair, and 20 pound weight gain. At 40 days sober, I've started to see some minor improvements in my complexion, puffiness is going down, whites of my eyes are brighter, and hair is smoother. Weight has unfortunately remained the same despite my exercising and calorie counting. I'm really hoping that improvements will continue. I'd love to hear if anyone has any feedback on their sober recovery journey after 40 days, specifically if you saw physical improvements happening after 2,3 and 6 months?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SnwFlower

I'm not really one to dwell on my appearance too much, but I definitely feel better sober...I think quitting really did wonders for my health

D
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I too saw improvements in my appearance after getting sober. Weight gain was not one of my problems but overall, I felt and looked so much better. Sleep was better too, since I'd had problems sleeping well while drinking. It just keeps on getting better! Glad you joined us.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ((SnwFlower)) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on 40 days!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think for me, the biggest benefit, is how I feel about myself. I am now happy to spend time with this person who is me.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At age 45 (if you are female), you are also battling the shift in hormones... peri-menopause does many unkind things to the body and if you mix booze with it, you could have been headed to a 40 lb. weight gain (speaking from my own experience).

the weight will come off but you have done yourself a tremendous good thing by quitting and beginning to exercise, watch calories. I had to use HRT because the symptoms were horrific...once i stopped drinking 8-10 glasses of wine every night, i lost the "booze cheeks" high BP and could sleep and move better.

i'm sure that there are many positive improvements you can't see daily, but please know they are there even if you are preventing a bigger issue in the future.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm nearly 40,female and also drank a bottle of wine a night. I'm 3 months sober now and sometimes think it's a different person when I catch sight of myself in the mirror.

My bloated face has gone,redness reduced, eyes clearer, face has a healthy look rather than grey, skin smoother. My stomach has reduced, bloat gone, gone down at least 1 dress size,lost inches though only half a stone in weight,hoping to lose more still

As others have said, the overall feeling of wellbeing is immense,the mental clarity and peace of mind are so so worth being sober

congrats on 40 days btw
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I did not lose any weight, however everyone else thinks I have. the face puffiness is the big thing that's gone and I think that's what everyone sees... I am in my 50's and right smack in the middle of menopause but have started walking (when it's not snowing that is!!) and hope the weight will come off I feel soooo much better and that is worth everything..
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the fantastic support and great information! Your kind words really help immensely. It's wonderful to hear about how your lives are improving as well.

I completely agree about the hormones, and the alcohol was certainly just adding a fuel to that fire. Definitely am sleeping more sound, (that's huge) as it's so nice to wake up rested and clear nowadays!

Thank you again and a big hug to you all! Cheers!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PS - I mean "Cheers" with a glass of refreshing sparkling water! (That's my new healthy favorite.)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi SnwFlower. When I was drinking I was sort of gray in color - with 'gin blossoms' around my nose & on cheeks. Bloated, red eyes - dry hair & nails breaking - actually losing my hair due to being malnourished. A terrible, haunted look too - I hated to catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror. At around one month sober I looked so different. Best thing was not having my life run by my addiction - being free of it.

Glad you are here with us. Congratulations on your 40 days.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in my 50s also (but not for long) and as my wife says I'm going though MANopause.
My weight did stay the same for a few months even though I stopped drinking beer. But the all of a sudden my body (seems like this anyway) said..."hay this is for real, he has stopped putting empty fat calories in me...it for real, ok lets let go of some fat weight...and bingo it's coming off. ) keep at it and it will happen if it needs too.