Notices

Day 2, Friday afternoon, I want to drink

Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2, Friday afternoon, I want to drink

This is it. This is what happens every time I starting drinking again when I've tried to quit before. I've been in the mindset I'm in right now. I want to go to the liquor store so bad my skin is crawling. In the past I haven't told on myself, I just went and did it, because I knew if I told on myself someone might talk me out of it. And I would be accountable. My addiction is telling me not to post this, just go to the store.

Well this time I am telling on myself. I want to be out at a bar. I love the people, the music, the bar staff. Im just bored, sitting at home. Alcohol has such a hold on me, I don't want to do anything else, like go to a movie, or a bookstore, or work out.

Well, I guess life requires difficult choices. Continue to go down the path of self-destruction or make some changes/sacrifices. To all you other newcomers, I just wanted to let ya'll know that I'm here too, struggling to stay sober today. Hang in there....
Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember my first few Fridays.

Yes, Fridays are tough.

Try "playing the tape all the way through". This technique really helped me in the beginning.

I have to think the drink through, because for me, it's never one drink.

If I go to happy hour on Friday, more than likely the whole weekend will be a blur, and I probably won't make it to work on Monday.

And then the obsession would return and I'd be back on the crazy train again.

You can get sober, because if I did, anyone can.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You're in withdrawal. You should try something that relaxes you. A hot bath, chamomile tea, anything except another drink. If you keep resetting your addiction by drinking you'll keep growing through this every time.

Power through it this time. Post here, we're here with you for the same reasons.

Don't drink.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
I want to be out at a bar. I love the people, the music, the bar staff. Im just bored, sitting at home. Alcohol has such a hold on me, I don't want to do anything else, like go to a movie, or a bookstore, or work out.
Mirage, I SO feel you. It is taking all of my strength not to call someone and see if they want to meet up. It is my first weekend too. There is a yoga class that starts in 1.5 hours and I am trying to get my butt up to go. Maybe you could go work out and I could go to yoga? I know once I get outside I will feel a TON better. I think it is mostly just inertia. Once you get moving (the hard part) you're good to go. And honestly, after that, I am going to lurk on SR, replying on whatever thread I find myself on. Someone out there is paying attention.

SD, I like your technique. I am doing it right now and the end of the movie is not a one I care to see, or feel. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah sometimes you just have to sit with the skin crawling and just...get through it.
You're going in the right direction - and you're not alone

This technique was useful for me too.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
D
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know Fridays and weekends in general are still difficult for me. The best thing is to do something else until the urge passes. And it will. Ride it out, keep occupied with something. I'm fairly new to sobriety myself, but I hear it gets easier with time. Good luck, and yes you can do it! You have a lot of company here!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can get through it, and it will get a bit easier the next time.

Making yourself do something different this Friday night, even if you don't really want to, will have a ripple effect on your life. Things will get easier.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I really feel better after reading your replies. In the past I would have drank. I'm still sober, so I owe that to yall.

I think I am going through withdrawal. CNH, I may try to go to the gym, that 's a good idea. Im not sure what time it closes though and I just ate something a little while ago. I do have some things to do around my place though.

Anyway, thanks again, yall have reminded me why sobriety is worth it, because I always seem to forget when my cravings are going full force...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

either way, you got it :-)
Old 03-08-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My first Friday too, and I feel so 'empty' if that makes any sense? I'm glad I didn't buckle under though, although it feels very strange right now.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I can relate too!

I just kept telling myself that the fact I was so uncomfortable showed I had a problem with alcohol, and that I must be going in the right direction.

Turns out after the first couple weekends sober it got much much easier. Now I look forward to the weekends again, and not because Im gonna get my drink on.

I get to relax, sleep in, eat well, spend time with family and friends, do some hobbies, and get ready for next week.

No more spending the weekend hung over and not remembering all of it, bank account empty, getting to work feeling like garbage on monday with no lunch and wrinkled clothes.... It was not that much fun after all.

You can do this!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm still sober, so I owe that to yall.
You owe that to yourself Mirage you're the one that is doing it.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The weekends definitely got easier for me as time went on. I kept busy by going to meetings (sometimes 2 a day), reading, and I got netflix which was a real lifesaver. It helped keep my mind off things when I couldn't sleep. Some nights I watched 3 movies in a row lol Wasn't so funny then but I live alone and it kept me company Now I have gotten used my "routine" and like drinking used to be, it happens automatically. Kudos to you for posting on here rather then giving in. You will never regret not drinking when you wake up in the morning.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you decide to go to the gym - don't get too technical or worry about eating etc. Grab a bad magazine -sans booze ads and walk aimlessly on the treadmill till you are ready to get off!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yall have reminded me why sobriety is worth it, because I always seem to forget when my cravings are going full force...
YOU ARE WORTH IT!
You deserve to live a happy sober life. It will take work that will result in great rewards!
Stay Sober & here's to another 24 hours!