Notices

Second meeting- need help

Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second meeting- need help

Hi everyone,

Today I went to my second meeting and it was better than the first one. Less anxiety, more trust.

We talked about enlightenment, which I am trying to understand.

It's really hard for me right now to focus on so many things in one. I feel like its so much happening and I'm scare to go right back where I was because of it. I tried to start and finish things a lot but I usually only start things, I don't finish them.

I was reading on awakening and on the 3rd step. I find it difficult to fully comprehend it , even thought I really really want to get it. Any tips ? I know it's a personal thing, I am scared to never get there, I mean the awakening. I'm scare I'm never gonna feel it...

Anyways, I believe I am on the right path. I am getting more nervous everyday of the thought of never having a drink ever again. I guess it's because I maybe secretly hope there still chance I can change. But that's just one side of me, the other one is really aware that I can't change by myself because I tried.

I talked on the phone with my new sponsor for 1 hour and I am very impress to see all there wonderful people still attending and caring for others after 10- 20-30-40 years of sobriety.

I wish you all a great night.

Prion
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Prion and congratulations on your new recovery. I am far from being an expert but it seems to me, that you are taking too much on right from the beginning. The only tip(s) I can think to give you are: Take it easy... No one is expecting you to understand the third or fourth or any step on your second meeting... You should not pressure yourself... Take care of yourself and it starts by being kind to yourself... some slack, give yourself some slack... Going to meetings is already a big step... You have taken this first (big) step... Congratulate yourself!!! And to you too, a great night!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Prion--

Good going on the meetings and talking to your sponsor!

As a newcomer to recovery, I find I am anxious to "fix everything" now. But the reason they have twelve steps is that you take one step at a time, carefully and thoroughly. Tonight, I chaired our NA meeting and read about Step 3, which I am working on now. I shared a challenge I faced, and one of the comments I got on my topic was that the challenge should be dealt with in Step 4. So my main advice to you is to spend more time on Steps 1 and 2 with your sponsor, and then you will be well prepared for Step 3.

[I mostly go to AA meetings and have an AA sponsor, but I am using the 12-Step book from NA, It Works: How and Why (Narcotics Anonymous World Services, 1993). It is available on-line at http://rochesterny-na.org/It_Works_NA.pdf ]

Here are some other comments I got on Step 3:

--Pray that others may be blessed and that I may change.

--Fill your life with positive thoughts.

--Have a "God Box," in which one puts written summaries of things one is turning over to God. There is a "God Jar" thread here at SR...

--One person had trouble with Step 3, until reading some Buddhist literature. I am borrowing some books from this person.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I have this thing: I try to get everything done right away or I feel like I am a failure.

Obviously with this mind I never finish anything and I feel like a failure a lot: many attempts to stop drinking and thinking just reading lots about it, and doing what they say blindly will do it; it didn't work. I was not committed.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Prion View Post
Yes I have this thing: I try to get everything done right away or I feel like I am a failure.

Obviously with this mind I never finish anything and I feel like a failure a lot: many attempts to stop drinking and thinking just reading lots about it, and doing what they say blindly will do it; it didn't work. I was not committed.
Alcoholics are known to be perfectionists. I would rather not do it than do it wrong to this day.

Perhaps you were committed but did not have the right tools? There could be a zillion things wrong.

Oh, when that fear of not drinking forever pops up? Remind yourself you are not going to drink TODAY.

Keep it up!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't worry too much about the 3rd step just yet, this is only your 2nd meeting. Do you have a sponsor yet?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I got one on my first meeting, I will see her tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Great that you have a sponsor! Follow direction. I wouldn't worry so much about having an awakening. That happened the day you decided to stop drinking! Congrats!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Prion:

It's my experience that the "enlightenments" or "spiritual awakenings" keep happening the longer I keep coming.

I am in my 24th year of AA and feel better in my own skin than I did last year.

I will tell you what the oldtimers told me "Keep coming back, it keeps getting better".

They were right... but I had to keep coming back to realize it. If I remain somewhat spiritual I will continue to grow in AA.

The oldtimers in your group will tell you the same. Ask them, listen to them, trust them, follow them.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prion View Post

Most things that need to be done, especially when it comes to working on ourselves, are a process. The stages of a process go kind of like this:

1. Planning
2. Implementation
3. Maintenance
4. Review/improvement.

You're in the first part of the process - planning - and condemning yourself for not being in parts 2 or 3. You CAN'T be in parts 2 or 3 because you haven't completed the planning stage, which is basically gathering information, learning about AA and alcoholism, getting your sponsor, finding out how you and your sponsor will work together and then starting the Steps.

Once you've started the Steps, then you're in part 2. You are implementing the program of recovery in your life.

Then you'll be doing parts 3 and 4 as you continue on your journey - being vigilant that you are maintaining a healthy program and improving upon it as you see fit.

Give yourself a break and try and keep in mind that most things are a series of processes that can't be done all at once. If you try to plan and implement at the same time, you are bound for failure. That's what you're trying to do now. You've turned the oven on, put the cookie sheet in and you're wondering when the cookies will be baked. You haven't made the cookie dough yet. You haven't failed, you've just gotten ahead of yourself
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

forget about step 3

just stay sober one day at a time

today

look at step 1 but dont worry about step 3 yet it will just confuse you

good luck
Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Prion,

You mention that you still hope you can change. Well, you can...not into a person who can drink again, but into a person who doesn't need to drink,obsess about drinking, or fear sobriety.

You can become a person who doesn't live the rest of their life in bondage to alcohol, or jonesing for a drink.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey prion,
I remember feeling the exact same way when I first started going to meetings...like "Am I ever going to GET it", "What if it doesn't happen for me"...Over time it did happen for me but until then I listened and accepted that this was a process. And will always be. As long as you are taking care of yourself, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Your sponsor will guide you through the Steps. One Step at a time--they are in order for a reason! According to the 12th Step, we have a spiritual awakening "as the result of these Steps." So don't expect one tomorrow.

People spend a lifetime studying the Steps and how they apply in real life. You will get there. One day at a time.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job on going to a meeting again today (doesn't that sound cool...AGAIN!)

Take it slow you are so fresh in this, do not get over whelmed & be proud of every new step.
And as they say in AA/NA KEEP IT SIMPLE
Thats all we can really handle right now!

Peace