Notices

Awesome Victory!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Awesome Victory!

I had to go out tonight with our wedding caterer for dinner, who is also a friend. I knew it was going to be tough... He, of course, ordered a drink and in my mind that made the already rampant thought of drinking go wild.

Made it though, not without a close call. Dinner was fine, he and I are both Christians and friends and I simply told him after he ordered a drink I was stopping for a while, and that was good enough. It was the ride home that was really really tough. Gas station after gas station being passed, and then I went into one. I went straight to the bathroom and left. That was tough. Then pulled out of the gas station parking lot and as I was pulling out I pulled right into a grocery store parking lot and walked right into the alcohol isle. Chardonnay in hand I literally imagined all you standing around me, God and my fiance looking down at me and set it down on the ground and ran out. They probably thought I stole something, lol. Pulled out of the parking lot and actually yelled, "i just want it." Anyone noticing my driving at this point must have thought I was crazy. Anyway, drove home, loud music, focused on the taillights of the car in front of me and no alcohol. I kind of had to do the dinner thing, it was for the wedding, but damn it was yet another tough experience. This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

DAY 3
Mad thanks to whoever posted that idea of imagining the helpful, honest, and caring people on this site watching and encouraging and reminding me to overcome. All your support got me through day 3. Thanks. Seriously.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BTW it was advice laurie6781 gave to Mvngon here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3851478
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Awesome job! You have your first tough experience under your belt. You CAN do this!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you percussion! That must have been so hard. You should be very proud of yourself!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Yup, that is how it starts. Great Job! Believe it or not, if you keep that up it'll get easier and easier to the point where you don't even notice liquor stores or the liquor isles in a grocery store anymore. Not talking a week or a month, but you will get there.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well it sucked, but it was pretty cool to get to post that story at the same time, sure its a only a day 3 victory, but a good one!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great Percussion! Congratulations on your strength and your day 3!

Reading through posts has helped me immensely. There is so much love and good advice to be found when I look. The words of wisdom from Laurie helped me greatly on a rough night too. I'm so glad to hear that you found what you needed at such a critical time. That is the blessing of this site, and the many wonderful people who take the time to support one another here.

Have a wonderful day today!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So great to hear percussion!! Isn't it great that we can laugh at our silly behavior and the things we do to abstain from drinking? When I first got sober I would often yell in my car a lot..."I just want to drink!!" Anyone who saw me probably thought I was nuts lol Have another good sober day
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that experience. Make me think I can do the same. Thanks for the courage boost!