Notices

Sober Weekend Thread: March 8-10

Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sober Weekend Thread: March 8-10

The weekend is upon us again, time to hang together and stay sober. I have Tomorrow off, so that nasty bottle has already called me a few times tonight, but it has the WRONG NUMBER.

This weekend I am going to take this empty hole (below) and install a pocket door. (So I have to fill in half the opening with a wall and then make a door that will slide into it.) Never done one before - hope it all goes well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pocket door.jpg (77.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck with your DIY, hey!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This will be my first weekend sober! On a good note picking up my sister from the airport early Saturday who doesn't know I'm an alcoholic, and who I don't really want to know. She doesn't really drink and she'll be here for the next week, so it should really be a huge blessing. But one day at a time, focus on tomorrow, Friday, accept those cravings, breathe deep, learning a lot from all of you these past few days. Good luck with that pocket door, did one of those last summer and it was pretty awesome. Be sure to keep us updated with pics. Onward and forward my companions to day 4! Ah ha!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sunday worries me. We have friends coming for lunch, I know if I don't have the first one I'll be fine but resisting that temptation is going to be hard. The others can stop after two, I don't want to be drinking until 5pm and then maybe topping up on Sunday night.

First I have to get through today. Sneaky thoughts have been arriving "you didn't have any yesterday, one or two won't hurt." I know they will hurt because it won't be one or two.

My first weekend. I'm going to try just breathing for a while.

I hope you all have a good one.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm right here next to ya marcher first weekend, lets knock this sucker out. I'm a little worried too, but maybe that is a good thing, maybe being worried may help us keep our guard up?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Looks like a good project, Non. Don't hammer your thumb.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting the weekend thread Non. Tis been awhile for me but Friday nights are always hard.. My AV loves to call about 5 o'clock on Fridays . I won't be answering her call.

Good luck with that door looks fun
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i plan to play xbox all weeked.. ahh how i love the sober life! lol!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's here...I have three weeks but I've been dreading this weekend. The cravings have been so very strong. I was planning on spending a lot of time on this thread but my weekend plans have turned out to be relatively "safe." I'm taking my boys to my parents tonight and they do not drink EVER so that's wonderful and the day I was truly dreading, my husband's bday Sunday, has just been made infinitely easier as my in-laws will be joining us for brunch and our Sunday game. They are normal drinkers, satisfied with one glass of wine, and it's always been uncomfortable for me to drink around them - not that it stopped me in the past. Looking forward to being around sober influences, including this thread, to get me through this wknd.

Wishing a safe & sober weekend for everyone.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Work today, picking up taxes and appt. at salon for haircut saturday...many little house chores, my bathrooms need a good scrubbing and some much needed quiet time...gotta shop for the pets too.
Hoping to see Argo on demand for a sunday treat.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well, I slept poorly last night, but I am off to Lowe's first thing this morning for some materials. Hopefully a day of physical labor will wear my body out and I can sleep better tonight.

TGIF!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We generally go out for pizza Friday night after work which I always a big trigger for me. At my wife's suggestion she will pick pizza up and bring it home instead this weekend. She can't really relate to the sheer panic of having a beer or two out and then heading home with our stopping for a case. But it's real to me and that's enough for her even if she doesn't completely get it. Blessed that she's willing (at her suggestion even) to skip Friday out a week or two until I'm a little more comfortable.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Morning Weekend Compatriots!

It's planned to have gorgeous weather this weekend here. So, I am reminding myself to get off the couch, stop isolating and get some fresh air. I'm holding myself to a little walking all 3 days - no excuses!! I'll check in each day to keep me honest.

Have a great start to a sober weekend!!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey! Lot of new first few weekenders here! Awesome!

I have been at this a while. It has gotten a lot easier but as long as I live across the street from "the bar" and circumstances have not changed much then I need to be hyper aware. Mostly just not be lazy. That's what gets me.

So going to dinner tomorrow evening. Have lots of small things I want to do this weekend.

I am also going to start writing a memoir. Sounds hokey to do but I enjoy the take a step back and frame my experiences. It helps to put them not only into perspective... But to rest.

Oh yeah! And find something to braise this Sunday. Might have my neighbor over since they shoved all the snow this week.

K
Old 03-08-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope your DIY goes well Nonsensical

Stay strong Ken.Love the idea ofa memoir

Its Mothers Day inthe UK this Sunday so having family over for dinner. Luckily Mr Ready is going to do all the prep and cooking-day off for me

Have agreat weekend everyone. Hope all the newcomers enjoy your first sober weekend. Even though it's great waking sober every day sober Saturdays are particularly special
Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You're thinking of braising your neighbor?

Originally Posted by Kiya
Blessed that she's willing (at her suggestion even) to skip Friday out a week or two until I'm a little more comfortable.
Sounds like you've got a keeper!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

With some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ok first weekenders..hang in there...when you wake up the next few mornings OMG you will feel great!!
I'm now on my 20 something weekend...I'm retired live in Asia...Friday night is almost finished....get to sleep soon...oh boy! Good luck guys/gals.... we have all been there...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good luck with your project! I am going to a meeting tonight and tomorrow morning. Then have some plans with sober friends. Here's to a good sober weekend for all
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My official Sunday food project

"Braised pork roast with five spice rub and apple/onion compote"

Type that puppy into google and you get a mouth ful!