Notices

Sober Weekend Thread: March 8-10

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! OMG trachymis I laughed so hard I almost peed myself! I needed a really good laugh and you delivered!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well, the door fits the pocket (on the second try). I'm gonna try to tweak it a little so that it hangs more squarely. Then I need to make it look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pocket door2.jpg (74.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Nice job, Nons!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good Morning, Friends!

What a great morning. It was so good to wake up happy and sober, that I started singing and dancing in the kitchen to the radio while I was drinking my coffee. I turned around, and there is my dog sitting in the doorway staring at me with a classic "What the . . . is up with YOU??" look on his face. Just cracked me up that my DOG notices something different.

Duffster, I am impressed. It sounds like you live in an environment where drinking is almost de rigueur as part of the social scene. In your shoes, I might be like a child in a candy store with the flowing champagne. I love champagne. You sound like a very strong woman. Good luck today and remember what you want for yourself.

To all my other recovering buddies, we made it through Friday night, and cleaning up the empties IS a heck of a lot easier when they're teabags. That pic and caption should be a poster.

I wish everyone strength and courage and grace as we move onwards through our weekend. Saturday night is a little easier for me than Friday night, but I gotta go stock up on my WW ice cream. It surely takes the edge off the evening for me around 8:00 p.m. It occured to me that getting clean is like having a house stand empty and unfurnished. You gotta put something else in it to occupy it or the squatters (gin, vodka, wine, drugs, obsessions, cigs,) are going to move right in. My replacement for wine this weekend is ice cream and classic movies that I think I've seen but can't remember!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Branches, what is WW ice cream? I am originally from PA and we have WaWa, but I don't think that is what you are referring to.

Ice cream and classic movies sounds like a great evening. I think I am going to do that tonight. Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Spent the morning doing both mine and my parents taxes. Rebalanced my portfolio. This is the first year I won't get dinged by the IRS for putting it off til October :O

I can't get over the fact that I can do whatever I want today and it's only 1pm! I used to be confined to my house all day - ass on the couch, vodka in hand, not able to drive/do anything but get drunker and waste my life. This is kinda cool!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I guess WW ice cream might mean weight watchers ice cream ??
I should have done that when i gave up , might have saved loosing myself a few lbs now i'm on a new eating riegeme . Luxury chocolate ice cream went straight to my prosterior, hips, arms, belly and legs Ha Ha Ha ! ... still, i got through and did'nt drink

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CNH08 View Post
I'm struggling. seriously struggling. I want to either go to the bar or pick up a six pack. UGH!!!
CNH, you can do this. Think only about getting through today, or even the next hour or minute. The craving always feels to me like it's there forever until I have another drink but that's another lie the AV tells us to try to get us to drink again. Step back and try urge surfing instead of white-knuckling. Do something to occupy your mind. Read a book you can get lost in, do a jigsaw puzzle, walk, anything to refocus your brain on something other than the urges!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I guess WW ice cream might mean weight watchers ice cream ??
I should have done that when i gave up , might have saved loosing myself a few lbs now i'm on a new eating riegeme . Luxury chocolate ice cream went straight to my prosterior, hips, arms, belly and legs Ha Ha Ha ! ... still, i got through and did'nt drink

Bestwishes, M
I had dinner with a friend I met through AA last week and mentioned my diet... Which has been rubbish since I quit drinking a few weeks ago.

She firmly told me not to worry about it... Yet. Lol... It made me feel good.

I've been consoling myself with cherry coke & ice cream... But, hey, it's not Vodka!!!

I will start a diet & exercise regimen soon...

Good to know I'm not alone!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Starbaby, in the grand scheme of things diet and exercise do matter. However, when we are working on sobriety, those two can take a back seat! Alcohol is so bad in so many ways, I think it has the others beaten seven ways to Sunday. You will want to deal with them later :-)

Sassy
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Ooh I love pocket doors, Nonsensical. I am putting some in the house that I am building (in my mind).

There are several different styles in the fab c. 1959 house that I live in.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks Sassy. I plan to read about urge surfing this afternoon. If I can pull myself away from SR! LOL! There are tools out there, I just have to use them. Not giving in to the voice feels like restriction and deprivation, which I do not do well with. But if I change my perspective to see that it is moving me toward freedom I think that will help me work through the urges.

Oh my, cherry coke and ice cream?! Like a coke float? That sounds DELICIOUS!

I too am nervous about gaining weight, but you can always start exercising. It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow, but someday. It is always there for you. That thought helps keep me going if I take a break from yoga. You can always get back into it.

This late afternoon/evening I am going to get my nails done, then go to yoga, then go out for ice cream. That's my plan and I am sticking to it!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The mud is still wet, but voila - it's a pocket door.

Hope the weather is as good tomorrow as it is today. If so, I'll work on my deck tomorrow. Eventually I'll have this house how I want it,and then I can relax and enjoy it instead of working on it all weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pocket door3.jpg (59.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Uh, Nonsense? That don't open very far.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's modest.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Oh Branches, thank you for your kind words but I don't feel strong at all. The greatest comfort is finding a place like this and seeing how everyone else is struggling and getting through it. It is too tempting here in season and for the first time ever I am looking forward to it ending.

The thought of your dog looking at you made laugh. I can't imagine getting through any day without my dogs - they've seen me through some pretty rough nights and mornings.

Great job on the door, Nonsensical - handy I am not so I admire anyone who can DIY.

CNH, how are you doing?? Sounds like you're staying strong!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi Duffster! I am doing ok, thank you for asking. Yoga was great and exactly what I needed. I bailed on getting my nails done but there is plenty of time for that next week. Instead of ice cream I found marinated mozz balls at the market. For some reason dairy really helps with the cravings so having little creamy morsels on hand is great. So I'm hanging in there :-)

How were the pancakes? And how long have you been riding? What a great way to spend time outside. I have only been riding once and it was such a great experience.

It sounds like you are staying strong, so give yourself some credit!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CNH08 View Post
Branches, what is WW ice cream? I am originally from PA and we have WaWa, but I don't think that is what you are referring to.

Ice cream and classic movies sounds like a great evening. I think I am going to do that tonight. Thanks for the idea!
WW makes a variety of yummy ice cream bars coated in chocolate, the chocolate raspberry is excellent, fairly guilt-free.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning weekenders!

I happened to have a really great day yesterday. Why I asked myself? Because it was just so pleasant to be free!

I had a fantastic dinner out. Got a bunch of things done. And just did everything at MY pace. Slow. Downloaded a new app for writing. Just so much fun.

Today I have a list of small things to do. I need to go get all the ingredients for today's culinary adventure. Was going to be the pork... But not sure. Hmmmm.

If you did not make a sober weekend don't leave us. You have today. If you did... You still have today.

K
Old 03-10-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I'm off to start baking. Devil's food bundt with caramel coconut filling...and Drizzle glaze.