Notices

Sober Weekend Thread: March 8-10

Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm struggling. seriously struggling. I want to either go to the bar or pick up a six pack. UGH!!!
Let the thoughts pass, CNH. Even though it's a strong feeling right now, it will pass. Don't act on it.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Tough start to the weekend for me. I think my withdrawals are really kicking in. I wonder if I need to go to a detox center. My whole body is telling me to go get some booze. Im sure I won't get much sleep tonight.

Newguy, I can really relate to how youre feeling. Can't live with alcohol, can't live without it. I heard someone describe it one time that it's like being out in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. You're alive, but in a really bleak situation. I know that's how I feel...thanks everyone for posting
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
Tough start to the weekend for me. I think my withdrawals are really kicking in. I wonder if I need to go to a detox center. My whole body is telling me to go get some booze. Im sure I won't get much sleep tonight.

Newguy, I can really relate to how youre feeling. Can't live with alcohol, can't live without it. I heard someone describe it one time that it's like being out in a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean. You're alive, but in a really bleak situation. I know that's how I feel...thanks everyone for posting
Sorry your struggling. How long have you been sober? Have you consulted a Dr at all. I know as alcoholics thats our last priority is our health. But I do know how dangerous it can be to go through crazy withdrawals without help.

Stay strong,
Peace
Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
Thank you marcher. I'm in Michigan and haven't seen the sun for about six weeks

I'm taking another shower and heading to bed early. I'm such a drunken outcast in this world that I'm geniunely touched by the words of greeting and support. Have a nice sober weekend, everybody
Im in Wisconsin, this crappy weather and the power alcohol has over me got the best of me. I am new to this recovery thing and can't see a way out, I've been drinking for so long, and far to much. I can even feel my insides hurting... I know there is a way out, I know I can do it. I slipped up today, but went almost 4 days without drinking. That is a huge victory for me. I will start again tomorrow, on day day. But the thing is, its one day at a time right? You been here since 2005, thats a long time. In that time though, these past seven years, have you made improvement? I think you have, otherwise, you would leave. You see the value, this is my 4th day on the site and I see it. You know you can do it, I know you can do it. We are here, standing side by side, supporting each other. We CAN do it. Sobriety will win.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post

I've actually screamed in my car numerous times out of no where that I just want to drink, pulled into a parking lot, even walked in on occasion and ran out. The employees probably thought I stole something or was crazy. But the gripping of the steering wheel, the crazy battle going on in my mind, the speeding, all signs of getting OVER something. I like the stray cat analogy the best, if you start feeding the stray cats, the more numerous the become. Once you stop feeding them, they are loud and crazy for a good while. But, if we can stop feeding them long enough thy go away. If you are having any serious physical complications please see a Doctor right away, but if you are just mentally struggling, you ave the power in you to shut your cravings down.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
...the crazy battle going on in my mind...
I know that battle. I fought it from the losing end for more than 20 years. A slow, agonizing retreat ending with a near daily capitulation to that inexplicable voice in my head that relentlessly urges me to drink.

I win that battle every day now. It's not even a contest anymore. The only tool I needed was knowledge.

Turns out Sun Tzu was right when he said "If you know your enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles".

That voice is totally EXPLICABLE. Now that I know where it comes from, what it wants, why it wants it and what it will do (and CAN'T do) to try to get it, it has no more power over me.

Keep reading at these forums. The answers are here.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The weekend thread is great!

It's meant to really help those through the weekend. So post here about how you feel or your struggles! That's what it's for.

We will also talk bacon, food, friends, and everything we can think of to not drink and find fellowship.

Glad so many new are on board! Welcome!

I happen to be up early from a very nice sober Friday evening.

Chores chores chores this morning. Dinner out at a new place tonight. In the middle is the tough spot. Like starting at 11 am. I will see my AV and do nothing to give it power. That's mine. He can get his own. Oh yeah! He can't! Unless I tell him it's ok to drink.

It's not!

Happy sober Saturday!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I would like to take a bacon weaving class and learn to incorporate string mozz cheese...
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

For those struggling thru the first days of sobriety, please know it gets easier. I'm still in the very early stages (9 weeks) but notice the physical cravings have disappeared totally. And the hangover-free mornings are glorious.

Well, I'm shoveling food down and heading out for a long bicycle ride. It's cold with high humidity so the first 1/2 hour will be a shiverfest. Hope everyone has a great Saturday. Don't forget the time changes tonight.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Cleaning up Friday's empties sure has become easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
teabags.jpg (51.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Haven't been up this early on a weekend without a headache in years.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Cleaning up Friday's empties sure has become easier.
HA! Love it!

Gonna do a little vacuuming, a little dishwashing, clean me up, and head for the liquor store.

I need some boxes.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ah trachymis! No yelling fire in a theater! Grocery stores have more boxes than liquor stores.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Ah trachymis! No yelling fire in a theater! Grocery stores have more boxes than liquor stores.

No worries. I don't drink.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Happy sober Saturday! Have a busy day planned with the boys and grandparents. I'm sorry I don't eat bacon but we're off to get pancakes we have an equally busy Sunday as its my husbands birthday and doing brunch & a game - which is actually what we do most Sundays but we're going home early to have cake with the boys and I so so so want to be sober for that. I'm hoping that will be enough incentive to pass up the champagne which flows much too freely on Sundays. I also have an early riding date on Monday morning and I need to be alert for that. I detest riding with a hangover, that is if I can even make it to the barn. So those are my incentives!

Great thread - I am your classic binge drinker and weekends, Sundays during season in particular, are a great temptation for me. Checking in here keeps me accountable and let's me see so many of us are in this one together. I hope you're all enjoying this weekend!!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelle96 View Post
Haven't been up this early on a weekend without a headache in years.
Isn't it wonderful?? I hold on to that thought when I'm tempted - I love waking up with a clear head.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It's meant to really help those through the weekend. So post here about how you feel or your struggles! That's what it's for.
Amen to that K ,

Hope you neewbys post today and tell us how things are going . We do care ( thenewguy i had lots of showers at the begining, watching the stress and anxiety go down the plug hole )

I'd certainly recomend looking through all of the pertinent areas on the SR forums for how others got and deal with being sober , there is even a games arcade if you look along the horizontal bar that starts User CP :-
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

I had bananas for breakfast , they are so funny , Big sunshine yellow and smiley .

Good morning all M
Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Picking up my sister from the airport with my fiance today in a bout an hour and a half. She's in town for the bridal shower. This weekend and upcoming week even should be pretty sweet! Nothing like family.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

This is actually my fourth weekend sober. I am loving the lack of hangover and the constant nagging voice that used to start almost immediately upon waking that tried to figure out when/where/how we were going to start drinking again. Those wonderful negotiations that went like: "Is it OK to have a Bloody Mary yet? Yet? YET?!!!!"

I am going to the Philadelphia Flower Show this weekend. It's the largest indoor flower show in the world and a nearly 200 year old tradition in my fine home city. This year's theme is "British Gardening" so I am psyched by that. I love any chance to explain to my female friends that in the UK, MEN actually garden---plant flowers and all! They never believe me because, for the most part, American guys wouldn't be caught dead with a rose bush in hand. Gardening for them means ripping sh*t up or spreading the pesticides while dressed as the Terminator. Ahh---the men of the Commonwealth countries...so enlightened!

Have a wonderful, sober, weekend all! x
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
I love any chance to explain to my female friends that in the UK, MEN actually garden---plant flowers and all! They never believe me because, for the most part, American guys wouldn't be caught dead with a rose bush in hand. Gardening for them means ripping sh*t up or spreading the pesticides while dressed as the Terminator. Ahh---the men of the Commonwealth countries...so enlightened!

Have a wonderful, sober, weekend all! x
HEY! Over here, MEN Landscape! With power tools(more power!) and big rocks(MORE power!). Grab a shovel(gas-powered, if you can). Trowels are for (planting) pansies!

Just messin' with you. I grow bonsai.

You have a good weekend, too.