Notices

Good news, but freaking out.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good news, but freaking out.

I have been unemployed for four months. I would submit resumes, but not as many as I should have. I am terrified of failing again, so I have been dragging my heels. Well, this morning I got two call backs for jobs I am interested in and qualified for. But I am freaking out. A friend offered to go out for a glass of wine tonight, but I said no. If I get interviews I want to be clear-headed and present. It's funny, it almost seems like as soon as I began to address my problem with drinking, and took steps to make a change, things opened up. I don't know if things happen for a reason, but the timing...

Anyway, I would appreciate some support. I want to stay sober. None of my friends or family know I am seeking out help for my drinking, so I am turning to you guys. I hope this isn't asking too much since I just joined. But, thank you so much. In advance. Here goes nothing!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

best wishes to you and your job interviews. it's a good time to make some changes, right? putting your best foot forward...i think you might find, like i did, there's a surprisingly large population of people out there, and in the workplace, that just don't drink...hope you make some cool new friends, too!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

'Clarity'! You will be so much better off in your efforts for employment & a better life if you go the sober route. Best of luck with your prospects & your sobriety!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat with you, CNH08, unemployed for about the same amount of time. It blows.

If you can prepare for your interview like by rehearsing some common interview questions, you might feel more confident and also be distracted from drinking.

But interviews ARE nerve-wracking. It's almost like a test of who can think the fastest on their feet, even when quick thinking isn't really a job requirement. You're just kind of flying blind. Okay now I'm freaking myself out. :-)

Just breathe and good luck!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

You have my support and best wishes!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you lilyrosemary. Thank you bryangt. Thank you MeSoSober. Thank you Weasel (love the Peanuts!). I forgot to mention that I lost my job in large part to drinking. There was a great restaurant in my building that had delicious whiskey drinks and great scotch. After a stressful day, or a successful one, I would go out for "just one drink." And it would turn into 4 or 5. I'd make the trek home and pass out on the couch, wake up at 3 am, and stumble into bed. I would go into work the next day unable to concentrate and unable to communicate. I would hole myself up in my office, barely getting anything done. I would fall asleep during phone meetings. I was so hung over one day my boss called me out. I made up an excuse that I was on pain meds for my back. I don't want that to happen again. I am feeling so many emotions right now. Ok, breathe (thanks MeSoSober). I am going to go yoga and an AA meeting tonight. Breathe.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have an AA sponsor? What does your sponsor say about "None of my friends or family know I am seeking out help for my drinking,"

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great News

I am new here too, and am a firm believer that once you change patterns that are destructive in your life...your life rewards you. Embrace the change and know that you are the right person for the job. I have been unemployed for almost 3 years and its been Gods Grace which has pulled me through. I wish nothing but success for you and your interviews. Remember, people don't buy what you do they buy why you do it. Keep your passion!

Eric
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife just got a job after being unemployed for three years. She would not have gotten the job if she were still drinking--this is small town here, and she was asked about her drinking in the interview. And she starts work at 5 am--that certainly would not work if we were up drinking until 3 am.

I haven't worked for five months, and am about to run out of unemployment. My sponsor is helping me with issues I face in finding a job.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All of your responses certainly help put my situation into perspective. At the meeting last night a woman said she was very self-centered while drinking and would demand to get her way. I need to keep that in mind. I don't want to compare my experience to anyone else's because I feel that everyone's is different and unique to them. Maybe this is the wrong attitude? But perspective is so important in life.

Coldfusion, I am so happy your wife landed a job. I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be in that interview.

I wish everyone the best in dealing with their unemployment.

I am just starting out on this path and do not understand how it works.

I went to my first meeting last night and do not have a sponsor at this time.