Notices

Finally Realised It's All or Nothing

Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Realised It's All or Nothing

I'm 28 now and have been drinking heavily since 19. I have made numerous attempts to cut down and control my drinking but I've realised that it just doesn't work. When it comes to drinking it's all or nothing for me. The longest I've managed to go without drinking in the last 9 years is 2 weeks. That was at the beginning of this year. I managed to talk myself back into drinking in the middle of January and really haven't stopped since then. I did have a 5 day break a week or so ago but that's it.

I've come to the conclusion that I have to stop. I know my problems aren't unique and that people with worse alcohol problems have stopped before me so that gives me some encouragement. I have set this coming Sunday (10th) as the day to stop and plan to stick to it.

I know I'm not unique in this way but I see alcohol as a way to celebrate, commiserate and to calm or accentuate any emotion in between. Obviously that's a problem and something that has to be addressed.

I hope other people here can help me...
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Waking Life!

If you have "tried" quitting before, you already have gained some experience You now know that quitting is a problem, and that tells you that this time you really have to do it.

Do you have a Monday to Friday job? I recommend having your last drink on Thursday, so you can have the whole weekend to get over withdrawal.

Have you seen a doctor lately?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WakingLife!

Lots of support and wisdom here.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! And you have some much life ahead of you.
I wished I had that realization when I was 28.
Stay Strong!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Welcome, Waking Life!

If you have "tried" quitting before, you already have gained some experience You now know that quitting is a problem, and that tells you that this time you really have to do it.

Do you have a Monday to Friday job? I recommend having your last drink on Thursday, so you can have the whole weekend to get over withdrawal.

Have you seen a doctor lately?
Thanks

No I work from home - I don't really know if that makes things easier or not. I also have pretty severe social anxiety which doesn't make quitting any easier as I find it incredibly difficult to cope in social situations. I remember the last time I quit, I felt very positive in the first week but my motivation slowly waned.

I'm going to re-read Jason Vale's book as that helped me a great deal to quit at the start of the year
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WakingLife View Post
I remember the last time I quit, I felt very positive in the first week but my motivation slowly waned.
That's my biggest fear, I think. The complacency setting in. Wishing you the best.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Waking! Congratulations on your decision. I wish I'd been brave enough to quit in my 20's - my life would've been entirely different. I chose to try and control it - and as you've already discovered - it never works. We're glad you found us - you'll never regret taking this huge step.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It takes a bit of time but you can get used to celebrating, commiserating, etc without alcohol in your life. It takes a shift in thinking but it can be done.