Notices

Day two...

Old 04-30-2004, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day two...

i've been trying to go on the wagon for the last month or so. i did a 2 plus week early in the month, fell off with a few beers, went back on, fell off with a few beers and some bourbon. that got me landed on my boat. needless to say, i didn't go back on the wagon. well, went to an AA meet on Wed.. interesting to say the least. Yesterday was my first day in some self-checkups. i was a little thick in the morning, but i visited this web-site the entire day, read a beginers book to AA, and didn't have a drink.
now, yesterday was not a good day in my business, so normally that calls for.......nope, not a one. about noon i was stressed, but i poured out the remaining tekates, and empied my stash of bourbon. i feel real good about it.
Alcohol was a staple growing up in the surf world, so do to my past of years of steady drinking, both in public and private, i was concerned about withdrawels. not too bad. worry was a big thought in my head though, more so than normal.
one of my worries was, candidly, how much were some of yous guys and gals drinkin in a day? what time did you start? what kind of health problems were encountered?
any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Last edited by saltH20; 04-30-2004 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Wrong title
Old 04-30-2004, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face Re: How much?

salth-welcome to SR!Congradulations on your decision to stop drinking.You will find alot of support here.On your question of how much? Its not how much we drank its what it did to us when we did..it was helpful for me to identify with the feelings of others and not what they used or how much. I am pullin for you! peace...Trish.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Re: How much?

Hi Salth and welcome!

I'm glad you found your way here looking for support. Most of us can't do it alone. We're quite the variety of alkies and junkies here. All with similar story's on different levels. Some were all day drinkers/user. Morning drinkers/users. Afternoon/(me) drinkers/ users. It just depends on your own situation. How much or how little is irrelevant. The fact is we couldn't stop at just 1. There's a saying One is to many and 100 not enough. Health wise, I gained a ton of wieght, my blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, were through the roof, and I had constant heartburn and stomach problems. Now, I'm all good! Your in good company here. We're from all facets of life. I hope you continue to come back and seel like I did your not alone. That was the blessing for me.

Again, welcome surfer dude!
Old 04-30-2004, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Re: How much?

WELCOME SALTH,
LIKE IT WAS SAID ,DOES'NT MATTER HOW MUCH,OR WHAT TIME OF THE DAY.
IT'S HOW I FELT INSIDE,THE HURT I'VE PUT ON OTHERS,DISTRUST,THE LIST GOES ON FOR ME.I JUST DIDN'T FEEL GOOD INSIDE,I JUST COULD'NT LIVE LIKE THAT ANY MORE.I'VE BEEN STRUGGLIN FOR YEARS,NOW ONE DAY AT A TIME OR ONE MINUTE AT A TIME I DON'T DRINK.THERE IS ALOT OF SUPPORT FOR YOU HERE,STICK AROUND,GET WELL.SURFS UP!

ME :sink MY FRIENDS HERE :boat
Old 04-30-2004, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Re: Day two...

the reason i ask is cuz i'm intrigued by "war stories". i'm trying to find some reasoning. trying to relate.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

There is a forum here My recovery stories if you scroll down.There you will find peoples stories who have a year or more of recovery.Think this is what your lookin for! Trish.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

SALTH,I CAN UNDERSTAND YOU TRYING TO RELATE,
IT'S ABOUT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN NOW.
I SUGGEST SOME A.A. SPEAKER MEETINGS,
PEOPLE SHARING ,WHAT IT WAS LIKE,WHAT HAPPENED,
AND WHAT THERE DOING ABOUT IT NOW.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO WAR TO WIN THE BATTLE.
ted
Old 04-30-2004, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

There is a very good book called the Big Book for Alcoholics Anonymous, the first 164 pages are here online in the AA forum under "Jay's Power Post's" .. lots of war and horror stories in that book. Also, "Under the Influence" is excellant as it discusses the psychological as well as physiological aspects of what alcohol does to us. I found it very interesting to see how it leeches on to every fiber of our being. Have a read and tell us what you think. If interested we have online meetings here and your welcome to sit in and listen. See the Chat Forum for the schedule. I'm sure someone will be along shortly you can identify with, I'd tell ya how it was for me, but, I'm sure they're all ready sick of my story! , see Recovery Story's.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

whoa.......turns out my now sober uncle has a couple too. being brought to hosp. with a split chin and the doc won't operate til .30 BAL goes down, auntie had no idea! and then after that, drank himself into a coma for 3 days, almost died. this from an admired ex-pro athlete! as a surfer, we have to learn to respect the ocean or it will "work" you, i am now likening that ideal to alcohol. if you don't respect it, it WILL control, "work", you. being that i could always "handle my liquor" i know that i've must have been just loaded while dealing with family, work, whatever. nobody had a clue(that i know of). i guess realization, and respect of it's control is half the battle.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

re war stories:
do you mean the brawls?
or the too drunk to ride out of the parking lot?
or the parts where i beat my little kid?
or where i hid the guns from myself?
or when there was no money for gas ,insurance, food?
or when i dreaded to pick up the mail?
or when my wife walked over my passed out body on th way out?
or when i tried to pick up the local **** at th bar?
or the disgust in the sheriff's eyes...again?
or when i stopped living and began dying?
Nah- i'd rather talk about these last 8 years of sobriety!!
hugs-mackat
Old 04-30-2004, 10:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

oh yeah..I hear that.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Salth20: How bad do you want to stop drinking? Can you share your thoughts on that question?
Old 05-01-2004, 12:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hey Mackat

Shivers down my spine, and a tear in my eye with that lot. Been there with you on 8/10.

Helps me.

JC :throb
Old 05-01-2004, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Yeah Salth, some of us will tend to keep our war stories close to the vest pocket you know... But I'll tell you this though, they serve me today in ways I could not have imagined. 'Cause I was finally able at some point to stop and say to myself that I could concievably end up killing myself or someone else without really thinking about it. And not just from the consumption, but from all the other activities associated with the "lifestyle". So today, when I think of the times I sold grenades, or all the lonely nights spent on the edge of death, sitting by my sleeping children's bed's whispering to them "Daddy is so sorry", I look out the window and think about a miracle in progress.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY SALTH,
WAR SORIES?MAC SAID IT ALL!
STICK AROUND SALTH,HEAR SOME HERO"s STORIES.
GOT HUMBLE JUST THEN MAC! :sweat
ted
Old 05-01-2004, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Salth..pleased to meet you, and welcome to Sober Recovery. I'm so happy you're reaching out for help, wishing you the best in your recovery...yippppppeee to SOBRIETY.

Hugs....Denise
Old 05-02-2004, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thank all for the comments, feedback. mack, bro, shivers.......
it was asked why i want to quit. i need to get control of it b-4 i hit a new bottom. i always blamed everyone else why i needed a drink to cope with whatever. well this last year we had a 27 week old premee baby. not jokin, she looked like a skinned bird. the hardest and worst c-section the doc had ever performed caused daughter to be black and blue 80% of her body. the gnarliest thing i have ever seen! i straight up could not handle it. this whole situation added fuel to my fire. but said and done, she's doing insane. 13 pounds now and healthy as could be.
so why did i keep drinkin? the nurses in the NICU"s comments about dad having a "few" when i visited, shoot "when" i visited. thinking back to sitting in the car at the hospital parking lot, saying "hang on a second" while i have a few shots before going in to feel the pain again.
so again, why am i still drinkin? i need to wake up and deal with all this crap in my head. i don't have the bad family story, the alki dad, and the crazy neighborhood. i grew up surfing for goodness sake. i do have a few deaths of family members and a girlfreind, alot more stress in my life than i ever anticipated, a few regrets. i bottle up everything, ignore the rest, and have a few bourbans.
well today is my fourth day dry. i slept in till 11:am yesterday, i haven't done that for years. i apprieciate your insight and time!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face Re: Day two...

wow! Thank you for sharing that with us! So glad your babe is doing well! Congradulations on your four days!Not easy I know! Want you to know we are all pullin for you! Sendin peace and prayers your way..
Old 05-02-2004, 11:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi

Well done - I'm with you, know the feelings.

Stick around and share - I'm learning.

much love

JC :throb
Old 05-02-2004, 11:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do not add alcohol

Salth,
Congrats on your days sober! You are doing great!