Notices

An addict's tale

Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Wandering Poet

An addict's tale

So here's the DXM part of my story, I was an all too clever teenager & back then, the law allowed for purified forms of the drug to be purchased. 99.99% Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide. I was able to order it through a research chemical supply company & man did I think I had actually accomplished something. What I didn't know then was that for the next few decades of my life I would be struggling with an addiction more powerful than any I have ever known. I tried a lot of drugs in my time, but for whatever reason this was the one I couldn't stop. I started out at 300mg level dosages, gradually working my way up, until the day came I decided that I was ready for a gram, not my best idea. The day itself went well, but the aftermath was a lifelong inability to walk into a Dollar General or Family Dollar without picking up OTC Cough & Cold pills. I have struggled with this, identified my triggers, knew my weakpoints. I managed to stay clean for a three year period until my father died & I have been trying to stop ever since. Eventually I started suffering from extremely high blood pressure, various pains, cluster headaches, & had a seizure. I did what I can to ignore the addiction but I believe having a community to talk to might just make it easier.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome AWP. SR is a wonderful community and we're happy to have you join.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Welcome to the forums,

You'll find a lot of people who have gone through a lot of the stuff you have that are willing to give advice and their experience.

Natom.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I think you are in the right place. Your story rings true to many of us, and you'll find some like-minded folks to sympathize and others who can share their own experiences and advice. Good luck, and good move on your part by getting things moving.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! This place has helped me learn so much about myself and my addictions. Believing you can quit and choosing to quit are some of the hardest things to do. Trust you are worth it. Sobriety is difficult but succumbing to your addiction could very easily quickly and painfully, kill you. I wish you all the strength you need in your journey. Peace
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, so glad you're here!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

D
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First Im sorry for the loss of your father,
And Welcome, so glad you shared & found this site!
Stay strong!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome! I'm so sorry for your loss! Your father would want you to stay strong, and coming here is a great first step!