Notices

1st AA meeting, Don't sweat it

Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st AA meeting, Don't sweat it

I thought I posted this already but I couldn't find it. So I am putting it out there again as I noticed a couple people posted they are going to their 1 st meeting tomorrow.

I have been thinking about how fear actually prevented me from going to my first AA meeting .

I had this vision in my mind that everyone was going to be staring at me when I came in .

I thought I would see people I knew and perhaps I would be talked about .

Haha! I thought no one would talk to me .

I was afraid to make eye contact because of all the shame I felt .

Or I remember at my 1st meeting I was angry because no one acknowledged me, like they should have known I was a newcomer .

As I look back at my first meeting which was a long time ago, I can now see how those fears were this illness all along trying to prevent me from trying to get well .

I liken this illness to the devil and it does not want me to get well .

Well people in AA are not mind readers but I do believe we are sensitive to and conscious of new faces coming in the rooms .

Also if you are new to a Face to Face meeting please raise your hand when asked if anyone is new so folks will know that you are new .

That way people will most likely reach out to you and welcome you and I promise you will find hope .

Please do not be discouraged if someone doesn't run right up to you as they may be going through their own stuff .

Today when I see newcomers come in, I try to reach out. Any new face I have not seen I go up to and say a simple Hello and Welcome .

Tonight at a meeting I noticed a man standing by himself and I thought he was new .

I didn't immediately welcome him as I am a woman and sometimes people get weird ideas about that.

But I wanted this person to feel a little more comfortable.

I found out this guy was our speaker from another area , and what did he share about? Welcoming the Newcomer of course.

Sometimes that first experience is the difference between life and death and I really believe that .

I really take this illness seriously .

When we come in to the rooms of AA for the first time, it can be a scary experience and we don't know exactly what we are getting into .

We don't understand the lingo and it can sound like a secret language .

Then we hear about a Higher Power and the word insanity lol. It can be intimidating .

I just want to encourage you if you are new to walk through that fear because the hope you will leave that meeting with will far outweigh the fear you walked in with .

Perhaps for the first time in your life you may truly believe that you can get well as you see others laughing and enjoying themselves .

And again If no one reaches out to you immediately please don't take it personally, it has nothing to do with you .

Please keep coming back cuz it will and does get better each time and before you know it people are calling you by name and you feel like you are part of something special .

You can do it. We are all just human and we can empathize with you, as we have been there .
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

well said! i went to a Big Book meeting tonight and had a blast. i can't tell you how many times we laughed. and after the meeting, someone approached me. my petsitter! what a shock to see someone from the outside world in one of my meetings. it was so wonderful! we laughed and talked and she invited me to another meeting she attends and gave me the heads up on some other meetings that are really popular. i'm new to AA in this area and am just getting back into the program. i tell you, it was an absolutely wonderful night. i'm doing my 90 in 90 and i think i'm really going to enjoy it. i'm only on day 3 of it but i've been to a lot of AA meetings over the past week. i'm hooked. meetings are where i go to relax and have fun while feeling the warm, open fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous and where i gain so much insight about myself. i love my meetings. i hope newcomers can push past their fear, go to their first few meetings and come to love them as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You did, & IT NEVER GETS OLD!
I was thinking of this same post you put up a week or 2 ago, when there where so many people posting today about going to/ or new to Meetings.

Thankyou for reposting!
Peace Deeker