Notices

Made enquiries about AA!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made enquiries about AA!

Hello everyone, I'm back after a break, and excited to announce that I've emailed my local AA to ask about meetings. I've finally taken the step.

I'm glad that I've done it but also very nervous! Aargh!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! It's normal to be nervous, but just remember everyone there is for the same reason.
Congratulations on taking that step, and I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good wishes, Ghostlight.

I got a very nice, prompt email back from them and am going to a meeting tomorrow at noon.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the best, Brit. Let us know how you get on.

S x
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Looking forward to hearing how your meeting goes.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone, I will update as soon as I get back tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Hey Brit. I will be looking for some posts from you in the KA thread.

I posted when I was waiting to enter my first meeting. The title of that post was 'sweating bullets'. One of the hardest things I've ever done, but worth it for me. Just get in the door.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah, veryready, you remember me from the KA thread, that's so nice, thank you.

My running has taken a bit of a back seat in the last week or so as I've been drinking a lot. Hoping to get back into it in the next couple of days.

Something I find interesting is the connection between heavy drinking and running, a proportion of runners are paradoxically heavy drinkers too, something to do with the similar feeling of euphoria that running and drinking bring. I wish I could just replace drinking with running, the latter is so much healthier. However, tried that and it didn't work so a shot at AA is in order now!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you BA - welcome back

D
Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
good for you BA - welcome back

D
Dee, thank you. In all the years I've lurked here you are a huge inspiration to me, I think you are great and give such great advice.

I'm feeling all pleased that you replied to my thread, thank you!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
Ah, veryready, you remember me from the KA thread, that's so nice, thank you.

My running has taken a bit of a back seat in the last week or so as I've been drinking a lot. Hoping to get back into it in the next couple of days.

Something I find interesting is the connection between heavy drinking and running, a proportion of runners are paradoxically heavy drinkers too, something to do with the similar feeling of euphoria that running and drinking bring. I wish I could just replace drinking with running, the latter is so much healthier. However, tried that and it didn't work so a shot at AA is in order now!
Funny. I have a buddy I run with and we used to refer to beer as liquid bread.

I do think it was odd to run so much AND drink so much. My carbs were loaded, but I was really depleting myself. I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do on the trails this summer.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did it, guys! I'm not long back from my first AA meeting and I LOVED it.

It was a 'closed' meeting, which I liked, and the people were great, welcoming, and listening to their shares was just amazing. So much wisdom in that place, and listening to people who just 'got' what I've been feeling was just fantastic.

I was TERRIFIED before I did it, but really no need to be. I didn't 'share' yet but did introduce myself when they asked if there were any newcomers. They gave me a 'desire' chip, phone numbers, the Big Book. Just amazing. And people spoke to me at the end and told me to keep coming back.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good going, Brit!

Here is some advice I got from the rehab program at Lake Chelan Community Hospital, Washington. It's kind of heavy on AA stuff, because that is the most readily available support system:

Key Methods of Living Sober

Attend a meeting daily. If needed, attend more in a day.

Participate in the meetings. The more you give, the more you get!

Introduce yourself to another person before or after the meeting. Do this until you know three people to say "Hi" to when you come to a meeting again.

Call two people from the phone list you received. Explain you are new and just want to practice using the phone. Ask about good meetings to attend. Or just wish the person "Happy after Valentine's"--it might make their day!

Listen to the announcements. Some AA or NA events are just for fun.

Select a sponsor as soon as possible. The person should have at least one year consecutive sobriety and know and practice the program. He/she should be able to guide you through step work and be reasonably available.

Start you day by acknowledging your higher power and ask for guidance. Close your day with gratitude for your sobriety and any other gifts which came your way.

Set aside 5 to 10 minutes a day to read a portion of the big book or NA text. Increase the time as your brain waves begin to level.

Allow yourself time to rest each day. Eat nutritiously on a regular basis.

Take time out when your emotions are on a major high or low. Balance is the goal.

Prayer is the telephone to your higher power. How do you know he won't answer if you don't call?

Ask for serenity from your higher power. The "Serenity Prayer" has saved many.

Call your sponsor or a friend on the phone list when you are out of sync.

Write about your feelings in a journal.

Make a list of the options that help you when you get into the trapped feelings. Make the list when you are feeling free.

Make notes that inspire your recovery and place them in conspicuous places. It might help prevent you from a relapse.

Remember that a compulsion only lasts forever if you give in to it.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well Done!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So glad you went! We are all scared. We all had to make those same steps in the door for the 1st time. Amazing how relived we are once we are in there.

Stay Strong~!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouRmySunshine View Post
So glad you went! We are all scared. We all had to make those same steps in the door for the 1st time. Amazing how relived we are once we are in there.

Stay Strong~!
YouRmySunshine....as I've said elsewhere, I was blown away by how similar we all were at the meeting, everyone there, we ALL know what it's like. And just normal people who you'd see in the supermarket, or anywhere. The man sitting next to me today is a dentist. A DENTIST, a professional person, lol! I'm not trying to be flippant, just love how it's been proved to me that this can happen to anyone, you can be so successful, have everything going for you, but still this can happen. It's so mysterious, really, when you think about it. One of the big mysteries of the world, of human nature. I think knowing that fact alone even from one meeting has made me feel so much better. x
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
YouRmySunshine....as I've said elsewhere, I was blown away by how similar we all were at the meeting, everyone there, we ALL know what it's like. And just normal people who you'd see in the supermarket, or anywhere. The man sitting next to me today is a dentist. A DENTIST, a professional person, lol! I'm not trying to be flippant, just love how it's been proved to me that this can happen to anyone, you can be so successful, have everything going for you, but still this can happen. It's so mysterious, really, when you think about it. One of the big mysteries of the world, of human nature. I think knowing that fact alone even from one meeting has made me feel so much better. x
HERE HERE!
And yes crazy scary to hear others stories & you keep thinking "holy crap how do they know MY life so well"
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard ba !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So happy for you Brit!! It's good stuff once you get over the fear, isn't it?

Great to feel accepted and, dare I say, almost "normal?"