Notices

How do you play in the dirt?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thought provoking post. I'm in a bit of a rut these days, think it's mainly winter cabin fever. I think I spend too much time on line and need to spend my time a bit differently. I do walk outside each day but my evenings are spent with the tv and lap top....maybe time to bust out a new move!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Awesome responses! I particularly enjoyed this thread.

Like I said.... No TV tonight! The house feels odd when the TV is off. I am sober. The cats look at me like they don't know me.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Loved your post, Weasel, although going to the mall at 8pm would definitely make me WANT to drink, lol! But, yes, figuring out to do with what used to be "drink time" has been the hardest so far. Right now I am filling that space with AA most nights but also discovering that there is a world and stuff to do during the hours I would most likely be passed out or well on my way to it.

Loved, loved these lines "Addiction is the process of losing my inner ability to satisfy myself. The turning inside out who I am. Recovery is my plan to rediscover that adventure. Feeling again from the inside out."

Right on, Weasel, totally right on with that one! Thank you!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I really HAVE been putting some thought into this. I have a couple of thoughts:

As the days get longer I will get outside more after dinner. Walks and gardening. We have a pool now, so will probably do a little swimming also. My job is sedentary, so for mental and physical health I need to get off my arse when I am not at work.

I should probably start running again in the mornings. I usually wake up around 4 and don't need to get into the shower until 5:30 or 6, so there is plenty of time to do it - I just lack motivation (and the right shoes, but that can be fixed easily enough).

Hiking. I turn 50 in 2014 and on my 50th birthday I want to walk from the bottom of the Grand Canyon to the top on the Angel trail, with my children. We'll walk down the day before and spend the night. When we get to the top we'll enjoy the view for 10 minutes and then - Las Vegas baby!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great post Weasel!
This week I will sit down & play cribbage with my dad. I haven't done this sober in SO LONG! Much like many things I found a way to drink during.
But just sitting down & playing a game with him & talking will be nice.

Thanks to everyone that shared!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Everything you guys are doing sounds like it will give that little jolt out of routine.

I made dinner reservations at a new restaurant for Saturday early evening. That will help me since I really looking forward to it.

Baking pork ribs for dinner tonight. Never baked them... Usually on grill but not a fan of grilling in wet snow.

Non.... Pace your self.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Brilliant post Weasel!

Non, I totally 'got' your 're-dis-covery' anagram. Love it.

Recovery EQUALS rediscovery....really inspiring. And no, it wasn't just cause you'd had a lot of coffee - it's cause you have an enquiring mind. Good how our sober minds can actually be open TO enquiry, eh?!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree! Non....

Where recovery meets discovery is where SR lives and thrives!

Kind of like where the rubber meets the road.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Be true,post your play moments. The more we play the less we try to kill ourselves .
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Love this post Ken!

I'm in the same rut as PondLady. Hoping spring will jar me out of it. I have a ton of crafty type things that I love to do, but I have a hard time finding the time to do them between work and caring for mom. That's my playing in the dirt. I figure another month or so and I might be caught up enough to do something fun!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I especially like the idea of going to the mall at 8pm.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yesterday I played with my food! I went to California pizza kitchen. They have small plates for under $5 each and very very tasty. I got 5 different things and picked at each for a while! So darn good.

Today with the snow will be a day I certainly need to entertain myself. Maybe a movie late Friday night? Hmmmm... That would be new for me.

K
Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I built two snowmen - rocks for eyes, pinecones for a nose, sticks for mouth and arms and pine needles for hair.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Forme! That sounds like so much fun! Our snow came and went so quick I could not make a snowman.

Great way to play in the ...er... Snow!