Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Do you old time soberry ones remember how hard it was in the beginning ?

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

[Making it today day 8. Did call off work today, stomach flu or withdraw flu still not sure. But I slept all day, this was sooooooo sweet. I have been only getting about 3 hrs sleep a night. Thanks for all the encouragement, it has meant for me the world.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The sleep does get better! Once you can get a decent routine in the evening helps too.
I try to read & journal to help me get tired.
My body was so used to "Passing Out" rather than actually sleeping.
Its crazy what a difference it makes. And helps to not wake up with a hang over!

Congrats on day 8!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Oz. I do try to remember how it was in the early days - but I wish I'd kept a journal. Sometimes the memory of it fades. I can't afford to forget that I was afraid to go to sleep because I might not wake up - or the heart palpitations and panic - among other things.

I was exhausted for a few weeks. After all, we beat ourselves up terribly and need time to heal. YouRmySunshine's right - the sleep troubles do get better. Glad to hear you're doing well on Day 8!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I won't ever forget the feelings I had in the last days of drinking and the first days of sobriety. It was absolutely the lowest point in my life and the hardest thing I have ever done.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LDT

I don't know if I qualify as an "old timer", but I do have some time under my belt and vividly remember how difficult it was in the beginning because I kept a journal....even started writing a book about it. I go back and frequently read what I wrote to remind myself how far I've come, and how much I never want to go to that dark place again.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, day 8! Good for you :-) The sleep thing should get better soon. Try to get some moderate exercise too, even if it means just going for a walk or whatever. My appetite was out of whack too but try to eat normally too. By the time I put the bottle down, I was so ready to reclaim my life but it takes time. Be kind to yourself. You made the decision and that's huge. All of life involves making choices and this is the one that will be the beginning of a whole new world of limitless potential.

Good luck, Rolf Ankermann
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope I never forget Oz...I haven't so far

The early days are rough - but so were my drinking days...at least recovery leads somewhere

it gets better

D
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Good job on day 8!! The sleeping thing does balance out, it took awhile for me, but it's so much better now.

I remember feeling so vulnerable, and so disheartened that I had to give up something that often brought me enjoyment, relaxation, and good conversations. I felt stupid that I could conveniently forgot how many bad things alcohol brought to my life as well. I was so tired I felt like I was slogging through mud. I had sugar cravings that were off the charts. I felt very isolated from friends. Remembering those first weeks definitely helps me stay on track.

Seriously, hang in there, it gets better and better!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will never forget, nor do I want to. My last drinking experience was a desperately sad one. I was lucky to get back up.

It no longer fills my thoughts all the time, but its memory serves as a reminder that I simply cannot drink normally. I never could and will never be able to in the future.

A sober life brings its challenges, yes, but to be able to work through them without that sense of shame and regret, well that's just priceless x